Battle Of The Heart

Chapter 12

Edited

Blue rivaled hazel. A battle of ice and fire.

His gaze froze, as if stunned to see me. Then a shine appeared, turning my insides out. The corners of his lips curved.

I instantly looked away.

Why did he have to have such beautiful eyes?

Sporting the same hoodie as this morning he strolled past me, deliberately brushing his fingers against the bare skin of my thigh. A shudder overcame me, and I forced myself not to move. Maksim was just trying to get a rise out of me, and though my skin was on fire at this moment I had no intention of losing my composure.

Aleks followed close behind him, speaking with two tall men with scary tattoos. One was slightly bulkier, a ruggedness oozing from the way he walked. As for the second, he appeared to be less formidable than the first. There was a tranquilizing air about him that didn't feel pressured.

"Hello, little one." He stopped beside me while the pair and Maksim took a seat in the back, fitting the circular, blue benches. "Do you work here?"

I flashed my badge. "A loyal staff member."

"Aleks!"

He smirked at me, not bothering to glance back. "My dear brother is jealous. I have to go."

After he left I circled back and tried to act like I was busying myself, and not stealing glances at Maksim's table every few seconds. I was turning out to be as much of a stalker as I had accused Maksim.

Hugo whistled. "Those four are like sex on a stick. Did you see those tattoos?"

"I know, right?" Nina squealed.

"Please stop talking about them," I pleaded, trying to cower behind my hand. "He's right across the room."

"You know he can still see you, right?" Nina said cracking a laugh with Hugo.

They didn't understand how the Russian played. He was conniving, and vindictive. I felt as much as I felt his eyes, but I struggled not to initiate eye contact. That would be a dangerous invitation he'd interpret wrong.

"Will you try not to make it obvious," I said, trying to keep a straight face. "He probably thinks we're talking about him."

"We are talking about him, Kora," she whispered seriously. "Oh and look. He's sitting in your station. This one is all yours."

I groaned, but reluctantly treaded toward their table, glancing back at my cousin and Hugo who were encouraging me with a thumbs up. I rolled my eyes, of course.

Facing all four men I tried to smiled as lightly as possible. Scanning the circle I paused on the two staring down at their menus, perusing the meals with concentration and indecisive turmoil. One even had dimples like Maksim.

"Hi," I said, cursing in my head the entire time, "my name is Korina and I will be your waitress this evening. What can I get you all?"

"Can we have the chef offer you up on my plate?" Aleks flirted and I chuckled at him.

"No debauchery between customers and staff. Sorry, Aleks."

He held a hand directly over his heart. "You hurt me, little one."

Maksim growled, "Prekrati flirtovat' s ney." Stop flirting with her.

The one with eyes alike Maksim spoke up. "Vy zvuchite dovol'no privlekatel'no, brat." You sound rather possessive, brother.