Save Me

Chapter 14

Edited

Maksim attacked Erik, spearing him to the ground. The cracking sound of them hitting the hard, sidewalk would forever haunt me. I knew then bones would be broken by the end of this fight, and if no one stopped it either Erik or Maksim were going to die.

"Aleks," I yelped. "You have to stop them. They're going to kill each other."

"I can't do that, little one."

I gasped when Erik lifted Maksim and shoved him against his car, the brutal tackle broke the window, sending shards of dark glass askew. Jeff curled his body over me so I was protected, as did most of the other students whom were circling us.

Holding my mouth with my hands I watched as Erik collapsed to the floor after a sharp blow to his right eye. But it wasn't over. A few members of the football team had descended upon us, and with no hesitation came barrelling through the crowd towards Aleks and Maksim.

I had to warn them. "Guys watch out!"

Aleks turned in time to defend himself from two linebackers, elbowing one in the face and circling his foot underneath the other; the guy dropped hard on his head, groaning, and curling a ball to hold their aching limbs.

The one he didn't notice came down with a stomp of a foot, but Maksim caught his leg and shoved it sideways, punching the senior twice in the stomach with a final strike between the nose.

Ouch. That had to hurt.

The student body went wild chanting, "Fight! Fight! Fight!"

They formed a big enough wall to hold off the security and teachers trying to get through. I think I even saw the principal struggling, losing himself in the wave of young bodies. The crowd made all kinds of noises, their phones out and recording.

There were two who separated from the group and started toward me and Jeff. He shoved me behind him and ducked under a fist that would have met his face, punching that same dude in the eye.

I cringed. That was definitely going to leave a mark.

Finishing him off with a quick foot to the chest, the guy went down in a heap of muscle. The second grabbed me from behind, and quickly tried to escape with me in his hands. Luckily, Jeff noticed and put him in a headlock, holding fast until he fell unconscious.

I didn't want to know how he knew to do that.

"I hate jocks," Jeff spat as Maksim's eyes impulsively focused on me. "Rich bastards."

"You know," I started, "you're a rich jock too, right?"

Maksim jerked his chin at his brother and Jeff, signaling for us to leave. Aleks nodded back and started for the Camaro that was parked in the middle of the street I failed to notice.

As the security joined the fold Maksim raced over to me. The principle, who was getting nowhere through the wall, was yelling angrily at the students to move by threatening them with a month's detention. That got everyone to disperse.

Maksim wasted no time in scooping me in his arms, cradling me as he walked us to his car.

"Maksim," I clung to his neck, the strands of hair teasing my knuckles. "Put me down."

"Let's go," he ignored me and ran to Aleks, opening the car doors for us. "You drive."

Maksim tossed Aleks a pair of keys as Jeff revved up his own sports cars. A jet-black, 2016 Mustang Ford. "I'll meet you at the house," he hollered before tailing away.