This Lonely Heart

Chapter 27

Edited

I was finally back in school, and everyone around me seemed just as surprised the moment I walked through the door of my first block.

"Korina," Mrs. Murray said, eyes wide. "You're back."

I nodded and continued to my seat without elaborating, however, come to find it was taken by Maksim and Nina who were holding hands on the table top. Every cheerleader and athlete in the vicinity hovered, congratulating both and asking to see the ring.

Nina, through a hole of bombarding students, saw me. There was a slight pink to her left cheek where I'd struck, becoming purplish-green. Our eyes met for a heartbeat, and she looked away, withdrawing her hand from Maksim.

"Revnost' tebe ne podkhodit, molodaya khozyayka." Jealousy does not suit you, young mistress.

I peered at Anatoly.

Starting today he was to act as my shadow, as well as for the rest of senior year. A precaution Igor insisted upon after my eventful actions at the welcome party. I wasn't so sure at the idea of having a bodyguard, as Anatoly vowed to protect me with his life, and I let him know I was in no mood to talk with anyone. But if it was my grandfather's wish, then I couldn't complain.

After some time I replied with, "YA ne revnuyu." I am not jealous.

"Odin mudryy chelovek skazal mne, chto glaza mogut vyrazit' to, chto chuvstvuyet chelovek." A wise man once told me the eyes can express what a person is feeling.

Walking down the isle voices and eyes followed me. I hated gossip just as much as the next girl, but with my father's new role in the Bratva it was clear to the entire city of Los Angeles where I come from.

I took a seat in the back row and my Anatoly sat with me. "Khorosho, chto cheloveku nuzhno bol'she vybrat'sya. I vy tozhe." Well, that man needs to get out more. And so do you.

His lips quirked at the corners in response.

"Korina," Mrs. Murray waved me down. "Can I speak with you for a moment?"

I got out of my seat and said to Anatoly, "Ostavaysya zdes'." Stay here.

He surrendered his hands.

Approaching my mother's best friend's desk, aka my English teacher, I asked, "Anything you need?"

"Well," she started, fidgeting with the pencil braced under her teeth. "First, welcome back. Your mother explained to me what happened to you."

I stared, expressionless. "My mother was never good at keeping secrets. Is that what you wanted to talk about?"

"Not quite," she pointed to Anatoly with her chiseled pencil, whom was currently slouched in the small chair with his large feet above the table top. "Your friend there is distracting my female students."

Indeed he was.

"He won't be a problem," I ensured her, patting her hand and rejoining my alluring bodyguard.

"Chto skazal vash uchitel'?" What did your teacher say?

"Vy otvlekayete svoikh uchenikov." You are distracting her students.

Anatoly raised a brow. "YA ne sdelal nichego plokhogo, chtoby privlech' ikh vnimaniye, molodaya khozyayka." I have done nothing wrong to acquire their attention, young mistress.