The Russian Pawn

*Sneak peek*

I was starving.

There was a beeping noise going on and off in my head. Or was that real?

My lids felt heavy. With difficulty I blinked to gain back reality from the dark world I was pulled in. A ceiling came into view above me.

"Miss?"

I shifted my head to see a nice lady in blue. She wore scrubbs with latex gloves and a clipboard tucked under her armpit like a folder. A nurse.

I glanced around me. "Where am I?"

"In the hospital, dear." She was searching the monitor hooking me, the tubes in my hand and up my nose for me to breathe, as well as to keep documentation of my vital signs.

"The hospital?" My voice sounded raspy and dry.

"Yes," the nurse looked down at me. "You were brought in last night. A man carried you through the doors. Bloody and yelling for help."

A man? Carried me? Blood?

"What happened to me?"

"You were just removed from surgery. Doctor Nikolaev says to keep you under surveillance until your wounds have healed."

"Wounds?"

The nurse frowned. "You suffered a closed head injury. We want to monitor you for a few days before we can discharge you to your boyfriend."

I frowned. I have a boyfriend?

"Sorry. Who is my boyfriend?"

"The charming gentleman in the waiting room. He says you were in a accident. You called him. Told him of the car crash."

"I was in a car crash?"

The nurse nodded. "Yes. Your boyfriend recalled you two arguing. The car went out of control. You hit a tree. You must have woken up and walked when another couple found you on the side of the rode. Then fainted."

"Oh," was all I could manage.

"Everything looks clear." The nurse wrote something down before turning on her heels. "I'll be back in a hour to check in on you."

She was gone.

I sat on my bed in silence. I was in the hospital. Injured. I- I had been in a accident. But why? I don't remember driving anywhere.

All of a sudden a flash of white robbed of my eyesight. A sound of a engine racing in the dead of night. Gunshots. Then nothing.

I groaned, a pounding started in my skull, shoving against my brain. Was this a migraine?

What is happening? Why can't I recall anything?

But for some unlikely reason I remember the number six. Six months. Six long, painful months I was on my own. No money. No clothes. And no where safe to hide.

I was lost. I don't remember who I am.

I think - I think I was running from someone.

"Sir. You can't go in there!"

"Why not?" The masculine baritone of an American sent a cold rush in my blood.

I don't know why, but the mystery man scared me. It was as if my brain were ringing warning bells in my head, and without sense as to a explanation why the man I never even seen tightened me with just his familiar accent.

"Please," he pleaded from the other side of the door. "She's my girlfriend."

"There are no visitors unless immediate family. We cannot let you in."

"Please, ma'am. I'm the only family she has left. Her parents are dead. So is her sister."

My brows knitted together. I have a sister?

"Please," he tried with a gentler tone. "I'll only be a few minutes. I just need to see her."

Pause. Then a femine sigh.

No. I needed to get out of here.

The turn of the doorknob jerked me into action. I quickly made haste, working out the needles from my body with a echo of the machines to follow. The man claiming to be my boyfriend waltzed in, a pair of glowing brown eyes cutting in my direction.

My heart raced. My palms grew damp. I couldn't place his face, but somewhere we'd crossed paths before. But where?

He entered the room.

"Aria," the man said frowning at me standing out of bed, the plugs hanging loosely at my feet. "What are you doing?"

°°°°°°°°°°°°

Hey guys. I know this preview was posted differently before, but I rearranged the story line, and to make the opening chapter a lot more interesting.

I’ll post the due date when The Russian Pawn will be publishing its whole, first chapter.

Tell me if you like it. Hate it. Give it a heart. Share with friends. Follow me. The more readers the better!

’Til next time. 🤗