All for a Dream (Hisui Nagare x Reader)

He knew you were different from the start.

Even before you reached J-rank, Nagare kept track of your progress as you made your way up the ranks far faster than anyone else in Jungle. For most, it was merely a fun game worth getting powerful abilities from. For you, it had become your whole life. Never before were you able to feel so powerful - so in control of your life - that it became addicting.

You played without any longing for the reward that would come after you beat it, albeit you never realized the award would be so life-changing.

You found yourself attracted to Nagare from the moment he met him. The Green King was so alluring that it was difficult not to find interest in him. Everyone in J-rank became your closest friends, but it was only Nagare who you felt closest to.

Yet, you never once gave any hints to your biggest secret of all.

He didn't know what to expect when you suddenly collapsed one day. It was after a difficult battle against the Blue King's clansmen and his first thought was that you unknowingly sustained injury from it, but it was obvious after a quick examination that you weren't harmed. At least, not externally.

The power given to the higher ranking players of Jungle is what gave you the strength to play the game and get as far as you did with your heart condition. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy crippled you from doing anything overly strenuous, but you couldn't stop yourself when you heard of a game that bestowed abnormal powers on the user. They were the powers you needed to enable you to live like any other normal person.

To your despair, nothing good lasts forever.

Despite the aid of the powers, they could only do so much. After the close call in the battle against the blue clansmen, your heart couldn't handle much more of it. You didn't even have time to utter a single word before you collapsed right in front of the horrified looking Nagare.

Even as you laid there in your hospital bed, finally coming to after nearly a week in a coma, you didn't regret the decisions you made. Many would call it a fool's mission, but all you had wanted was to live like a normal person for once which you did manage to do, even if it was only temporary.

It was only after your eyes landed on Nagare whose face was sunken in as if he hadn't been eating and whose eyes were shadowed by dark circles did you finally feel regret.

In spite of how close the two of you had become throughout your time in J-rank, not once did you ever inform him of your heart condition. There he sat in that same spot every hour of every day waiting - no, hoping - that you would eventually wake up, guilt gnawing at him the whole time.

If only he had bothered to look into your past like he did with all the other J-rank members. If only Nagare had known, then he would've never even thought about sending you on a mission as dangerous as that. As far as he knew, you could easily manage it. Never once did he stop to think what the consequences might be if something went wrong, nor did he realize how torn he would be if something happened to you.

He didn't notice that you had awakened until you attempted to sit up in bed, only for you to fall right back down due to being unable to fully support yourself just yet. Nagare's head snapped up in an instant and a look of relief washed over his features.

His wheelchair was close enough to your bed that you were able to place your hand on his cheek, reassuring him that you were okay. As happy as he was, he couldn't help but feel disappointed and perhaps even slightly angered by the gravity of the secret you kept hidden from him.

"Why didn't you tell me, [name]?" he whispered.

Your hand slowly sunk back down to the bed. He showed no anger in his voice, but the amount of disappointment in his voice was enough to cause you to flinch. You bit your lip and looked down at the bedsheets, not knowing what to say.

"I just wanted to feel like a normal human being for once. I was afraid that if I told you, you wouldn't allow me to go on any missions anymore... So I thought hiding it would be my best option."

"I would have kept you back and for good reason. Just look where you are now-"

"Why should my condition make a difference, Hisui?" you demanded, your anger visibly rising. "You trust everyone else enough to carry out difficult missions to test their abilities. Why should I be treated any differently than them?"

"Because you're different, [name]," he spoke calmly, shocking you enough to keep you quiet. "From the moment I heard your name from various players as the girl who traveled up the ranks faster than anyone else, I knew you were different. Your record proved your worth as a member of Jungle and after you became J-rank, you proved to be one of the few people in my life worth protecting. Heart condition or not, I would never purposely throw you in harm's way."

Tears formed and threatened to spill out of your eyes, but you quickly brushed them away. You knew there was nothing you could do to convince him to allow you to keep fighting, albeit that's not all you cared about. For once in your life, you made friends with amazing people; people from Jungle, no less. You may no longer be allowed to play a major role in Jungle's fights, but you didn't want to leave. Not just yet, at least.

"Please, Hisui. I promise I won't keep any more secrets from you and I'll follow your orders, but please don't kick me from Jungle. Even if I cannot fight, I... I don't want to leave you and the others!"

Nagare revealed a soft smile. Although he didn't express it, he wished for nothing more than to be able to wrap his arms around you and pull you close in spite of the straight jacket that kept his immense powers in check.

"There's no need to worry, my dear [name]," he reassured you. "You'll forever remain a part of my small family."