Fleeting Memories (Yashiro Isana x Reader)

The rays of light emanating from the sun's powerful glow basked school's rooftop with its warmth. That, combined with the chilly winds that occasionally blew past, made it the ideal day to just lie on the rooftop in between your breaks for class. There was something just so tranquil about being away from everyone else.

Well, almost everyone.

You expected him to come up and join you at any time. Yashiro Isana was certainly a strange boy compared to the others. The more you thought about it, you could've sworn it was almost as if he appeared in your life one day out of nowhere. Despite the sheer number of students who attended the school, you were sure you knew nearly every person there, yet he was the lone exception.

The rooftops had always been your secret spot to go to since the day you discovered you could easily access it. No one knew about it - not even your closest of friends - yet he still managed to find his way to it as if it was an act of fate. From that day on, he continued to join you at the rooftop whether it be for lunch, or merely as a way to escape after classes ended for the day.

Words from you were rare which he quickly grew to expect. Yashiro would go hours carrying on a one-sided conversation, never seeming fazed at all by it. Most of the time, he would merely talk about his day before asking about yours, never really expecting an answer from you yet he never gave up trying. It took a while but after countless one-sided conversations on his end, you finally started speaking more and more with him.

In such a short period of time, he somehow managed to wriggle his way into your life to become someone that was close to you. For the first time in years, you actually felt comfortable referring to someone as a friend.

"Such a beautiful day it is!" the boy exclaimed after reaching the top of the roof, immediately making his presence known to you.

"That's what you say every day, Shiro," you reminded him softly, not even bothering to turn towards him as you ate your lunch.

"What else can I say? The world is such a gorgeous place."

The two of you continued to eat your lunch in silence like every other day. This had become a regular routine that neither of you ever strayed too far away from. At least, not before today.

"Hey, [name]?" he asked, almost hesitantly.

"Yes?"

"You won't... You won't ever forget about me, right?"

At this point, you finally turned around to face him, concerned by what he was asking. In all the time you've spent with Shiro these past few weeks, you never once heard him ask something as serious as that.

"Why would you ask such a thing?"

His face softened and he started laughing at himself. Nearly instantly, he was already back to his usual self.

"Yeah, that was a stupid thing to ask," he said sheepishly. "Let's just forget I said something that stupid."

And so you agreed, not knowing just how serious he truly was.

* * *

For the past week, the sky was nothing but gray. Thick, dark clouds kept the sun perfectly hidden from view and you could practically feel the rain ready to come down at any moment. Nonetheless, you followed your routine of lying on the roof like any other day.

The peace from up there was soon ruined by a single drop of rain that hit your forehead. It started off slow but before long, rain was pouring down on you, the cold water soaking every inch of you. You quickly gathered your belongings and was ready to head back down when you noticed that you weren't alone.

There stood a familiar looking boy dressed in a white suit and holding nothing more than a red parasol. He smiled, looking pleased to see you despite the rather damn circumstances.

"I'm sorry I've been away for so long, [name]," he said, extending his free hand out to you. "Is there any way I could make it up to you?"

You warily eyed his hand before slowing resuming eye contact with him. His smile wavered, but he tried to hide it. It was obvious he was scared about something, albeit he showed no signs of indulging what it could be.

Without even realizing you were doing so, your hand slowly reached out for his. You were only inches away from connecting with his when you stopped yourself.

"I'm sorry, but... who are you?"