The Divine Argument: Part Two: Arguing with Angels

In which I argue with an angel. Why? Because I'm already going to Hell. Why not go down there an absolute legend?

~~~~

I turned from him, taking a step towards the angel. Maz grasped my arm suddenly, each finger slowly wrapping around my bicep. "My mellilla, his voice is designed to enthrall mortals. Do not listen to his words." It was a smokey whisper that chased away the slight fuzzy pain in my head. I looked over my shoulder at him and he reached out brushing his thumb across my cheek bone. "This one is simply jealous." He pulled me closer and there was a sharp snap followed by a rush of wind.

"Jealous?" The angel's voice rose, the chiming turning to s sharp discord of sound that grated my ears. "I am sworn to her protection, demon!" He seemed to spit the words out and Maz cupped the back of my neck with his other hand.

His eyes were heated as he looked down at me. "He is not allowed to partake in the flesh like I am." He slid one hand down my back before yanking my close to his hard form. "He is forbidden from tasting the fruit of this world, the flesh is sinful to him but I know they crave what they cannot have." He said the words in such a rumbling tone that it nearly made my knees weak and there was another snapping sound followed by a rush of wind.

What the fuck was going on?

"Because it is our duty to protect them from damnation!" Qaspiel's voice was a harsh discord and I wanted to cover my ears to drown it out. "Ethel, you must listen to me. He will say anything to keep you in his grasp. You cannot trust a creature of Hell." His voice was back to soft and chiming, as if he had sensed how uncomfortable I had been with his previous tone.

I looked over at him, tilting my head. Who the hell could I trust?

I glanced up at Maz and his eyes were hooded but warm before he brushed the back of his knuckles down my cheek, sending an eruption of butterflies through my stomach. "I do not lie to you, Ethel, my mellilla. I want you, this is truth. I do not wish for you to become a casualty in the Holy war, this is truth. I wish for your safety above all else, even that of your eternal soul-"

"Lies!" It was a deep boom, like a percussive sound of a drum that whooshed through me. "Unhand the mortal, Mazvahr. Let me break this unholy union, let me remove your taint from her soul." I blinked rapidly, scrunching my nose up as I looked at Maz.

"I do not like it when you get this expression on your face, Ethel." Maz did look wary and I pulled away, facing the angel.

"So what do I get if you help me break this union?" I crossed my arms over my chest. I had options, I need to think them all through.

"My melli-" I cut Maz off as I lifted a finger, warning him to remain silent. To my surprise, he gave a guttural sounding growl but didn't make anymore moves to speak.

Qaspiel lifted his chin, giving me another bow, his wings swaying and seeming to glow. "Your soul becomes free of the taint and your soul will not be eternally damned." His expression seemed to be edged with conviction and I pursed my lips.

"So I get to go to Heaven?" Could go up and do what? I had no fucking clue. I was making deals based on shit I had no idea about. It wasn't really conducive to great decision making.

"You would. You would join our ranks in the Heavens." A smile pulled up his mouth, giving him a rather boyish look. "There are wonders you cannot imagine, Ethel. You would fly among the clouds, watch stars be born, and dance among lightning. If you join with us, Ethel, I could show you sights you would weep over from beauty, I could share the tastes of heaven-"