FOUR

"You can let go of me now," I hear Chase's voice rumble politely atop my head.

"Oh," I open my eyes, not having any recollection of ever closing them. As soon as I realize I'm still latched to him, I yank my arms away and fix my ponytail. "Sorry, you just... smell really good."

"Good enough to kiss?" he asks, blowing a kiss my way with his hand. I roll my eyes and promptly turn him down again.

"Michelle," he groans, dragging out my name and adding another syllable to it. "We're going to kiss eventually. Might as well get it out of the way now."

"Let's make a deal, okay?" I offer, hoping he'd take it as easily as he did the first time. Maybe I can try to stall my way out of this even longer.

"No! I took a deal from you yesterday and you still haven't made good on your end."

"I know, I know! I just... wasn't ready."

Suddenly, his brows pucker and he smiles graciously. "Oh, so you need to prepare yourself? Yeah, I guess it would take a lot of time to get to my level-"

"No, stupid," I shoot him down immediately before he can come up with any more delusional ideas. "I just need more time to learn how to tolerate you first."

His eyes drill into mine with exasperation, his arms crossed firmly at his chest.

"Let's just take it slow for now, yeah?"

"Take it slow? Michelle, we only have one month to win."

"I know, but please?" I blink up at him with my sweetest, most innocent face. If these puppy dog eyes don't work, I don't know what will.

Finally, he lets out a long sigh and responds, saving me the embarrassment of staring at him like a lost puppy for way too long. "Fine. But I'm not holding back on the hugging."

"Please don't."

"Oh?" Shit. Did I really say that out loud?

"Do you like my hugs that much?" he pushes. My mind scrambles trying to find the right excuse to throw at him.

"Yeah, remember?" I decide to play off of the truth. "I said you smell good."

"That's not it, though, is it?" His head slants ever so slightly; he starts doing that thing with his eyes that drives me crazy in the worst way possible.

"Chase."

"Michelle."

I roll my eyes as far back as I can and slam my locker shut. I am not going through this with him right now. His ego has to be so far up his ass for him to assume I'm all madly in love with him solely based on his barely above-average hugs.

"Go away," I simply tell him. The first bell can't come quick enough to get him out of my space.

However, as soon as I give my command, Chase turns around in one swift motion and leaves a trail of laughter as he walks off in another direction. He doesn't stop to mock me or flirt or anything; he just keeps walking until he disappears into the hall of crowded students. I can't believe he actually did what I said for once.

I shake my head in pure amusement as I make my way to homeroom class. Isaac is sitting at his usual seat in the back—at least, it's officially his after yesterday, of course. I slide in next to him and he shoots me a pitiful, pained expression with his nose scrunched and his lips pressed together in disappointment.

"What?"

He just keeps staring at me.

"Isaac, what is it?"