NINE

Time passes by quickly as Chase and I finish up another movie and I decide it's late enough that he should probably leave now. My parents still aren't home at ten o'clock and Naomi is sleeping soundly so as soon as I get Chase out of here, the more time I have to get myself to bed. I am exhausted.

"So I guess I'll see you on Monday, babe." Chase smirks when I open the door for him to leave. "Unless you want to hang out again tomorrow?"

He's crazy. I don't even want to hang out with him now. Why in the world would I willingly spend my time with him for another day?

"Call me 'babe' one more time," I threaten him as he shuffles out, completely dismissing the last part. "I dare you."

"Actually, that's a good idea. I think I will call you," he says, pulling his phone out of his pocket when he's already through the door.

"What's your number?"

"What? Why?"

"I mean, since we're a couple we should have each other's numbers."

"Nobody's gonna check to see if we have each other's numbers. Why do we need to do that?"

"Its part of the rules. Didn't you hear when Dylan said calling and texting is a requirement? Besides, what if we need to plan a date or something? It'll be easier to reach you."

I can say with almost full confidence that those words never came out of Dylan's mouth, but for some reason, Chase absolutely will not let it go. His lips are set in a smile and his phone is held out in front of me with no intentions of reeling it back in. God, I can't stand this boy.

"Okay, fine. Whatever," I say, grabbing his phone from his hand and dialing my number into his contacts. If this is what it takes to get him out of my house so I can sleep, then I guess I'm going it.

He takes no time to leave as soon as he has my phone number and I'm finally able to shut the door. I quickly clean up the living room and kitchen and turn the TV off before heading to my room to change into something more appropriate to sleep in. As soon as I'm climbing into bed, I hear keys jingle in the front door and I get out to make sure it's my parents and not the terrifying alternative.

Just as I suspected, my mom and dad come crashing through the door in a bubbly energy, smiles plastered on their burning cheeks. Jesus Christ. Are they drunk right now?

I quickly move to help them inside since I can't trust them even an ounce to do it themselves right now. Not safely, at least.

My mom seems closer to sober, her heels bunched together in her hand while her other arm is wrapped around my dad. Her eyes can barely stay open as she stumbles across the living room. Dad's face is bright too, a much more noticeable shade of red than it was usually accustomed to. His eyes were tired too, though his brows were set in a dazed frown. I can tell they're both drained after a night of such obvious fun.

I open the bedroom door for them and help them inside, making sure they have clothes to change into before they head to bed. I'm sure they're not going to try to change, though. They're absolutely smashed.

I quietly close the door behind me and turn all the lights off, rushing back to my bedroom to finally go to sleep.

Monday, January 8th

Sunday passes by quickly with the help of chores and other busywork, so Monday rolls around much sooner than I was expecting. Over the short weekend, somehow I'd almost completely erased Chase from my mind and I forgot all about him. But now, as I'm making my way to the entrance of the school, his freckled face and curly hair brings everything back at once.