THIRTEEN

I walk over to the steps where he's sitting and I take a seat right next to him. I know he doesn't like Miles so telling him that's exactly who I was looking for is going to be a problem. But he's just going to have to deal with it. It's not like I'm his daughter; he can't control who I spend my time with outside of him.

"I was trying to find Miles," I explain calmly. "He asked me to help him study for his calculus test."

"Miles again?" he scoffs. "Didn't I say to stay away from that guy?"

"Didn't I say you can't tell me what to do?"

He rolls his eyes at me. "Listen, I know you like him but that Miles isn't a good person. He plays with every girl's feelings and makes them fall in love with him and then he breaks their hearts."

"Funny, because that's exactly what he said about you!" I fight back in Miles' defense, the pitch of my voice inching higher and higher as I get more upset with each second. "Why does it even matter to you? It's not like we're actually in love."

"That doesn't mean I don't care about you, Michelle!" His voice raises as well, sending chills down my arms. "I may not be in love with you but I still want you to be safe. And Miles isn't the nice guy you think he is."

"How? What has he ever done to you that makes you hate him so much?"

"He fucked Holly and then ghosted her like she didn't mean anything to him. That's what he did, Michelle."

My eyes stay focused on his though I still can't choose whether or not to believe his accusation. On one hand, ghosting someone after hooking up with them is fairly common, so it wouldn't be too far-fetched. On the other hand, the way Miles was talking to me gives me absolutely no reason to believe he would do the same thing to me. How can someone so sweet on the outside actually be so cruel behind closed doors?

I can't tell Chase I don't believe him; he'll get way too pissed off. But taking a moment to stand there and think about Miles ends up calming both of us down enough for me to tell him the juiciest part of the story.

"He tried to kiss me."

"He what?" Chase stands up.

"He told me he's better for me than you are," I say, slowly standing up to reach the same level as him again. "And, I mean, I agree but I couldn't tell him that."

"You didn't let him kiss you, right?"

"What if I did? He's the one I actually want to kiss, after all."

Chase chuckles with pure disbelief at my words. Maybe I did go a bit too far on that one.

The wind picks up for a split second as Chase brings his hands to my face, yanking me into him as he crashes his lips onto mine. His mouth tastes me for only a few quick seconds before he releases me and it's over so quickly I'm not even sure what to say about it.

"I don't give a fuck who you want to kiss. You're mine for a month."

The deep, sensual rasp of his voice is almost sexy enough to make me question my lack of attraction to him, but the rage I have for his need to control me just pisses me off instead.

"I'll be counting down the days, Matthews."

His only response is to shake his head and let out a deep sigh before grabbing my hand and leading me toward my house. I'm shocked he's even walking me home after the confusing argument we just had, but the silence is nice for a change. It's refreshing, being able to walk home without having to listen to a selfish jerk.

When I finally get to my house, Chase's bittersweet departure takes only half a second this time and I'm inside in no time. However, when I glance around the house, my parents are nowhere to be found.