FIFTEEN

Chase gives me zero time to finish the last of my apology before he smashes his lips onto mine. I close my eyes and sink into the merciful kiss as his hands find my waist and draw me closer to him. I press my own hands harder against his chest as the distance closes between us and the kiss lasts for just a short moment longer before he pulls away.

"You talk a lot," he says with a smile.

"Whatever." I glare at him, but every thought behind my poker face is filled with thank God, he's finally smiling at me again.

He snickers and all I can do is admire the return of his smirk.

"Do you forgive me for being a jerk?" I ask eagerly, my skin crawling at the possibility of him saying no.

"I guess so," he answers playfully, rolling his eyes as his hand slips into mine when we start walking again. I can't help but smile at our repaired relationship.

Maybe I'm not as bad of a person as I thought I was.

///

The walk home is much more lively and it's over almost as soon as it began. Chase and I say our goodbyes before we depart as usual, and I walk inside to find my mom running up and throwing her arms around me as soon as the door closes behind me.

"Michelle, honey," she starts to tear up before I can even get a single word in. "I'm so sorry."

"Sorry for what, Mom?" I ask her, knowing full well what she's sorry for. It's not her fault, though—it's Dad who should be apologizing.

"For everything that happened last night. For your father."

I scoff at the mere mention of him.

"Please don't be angry with him," she pleads as she lets me go. "He's been trying to fix himself since before you were even born."

"Fix himself? What do you mean?"

"Your dad's been an alcoholic since high school, Michelle. He's been struggling with it for years now but everything was going great until last night. We were with a few friends and he drank too much and came home with a mood switch."

"A mood switch? Mom, he hit you. He hit me!"

"I know, Michelle!" Her voice scratches through as she raises her voice to yell. Her eyes meet mine in silent desperation before she calms herself and continues. "I know. But he was trying his best to stay sober for your sake. And for Naomi."

She takes a deep breath. "I guess he just snapped last night."

"Mom," I speak slowly, completely baffled as to why she would even try defending him right now. "That is not okay. Is he here right now?"

"No, honey, he's at work. But I really need you to tell me you'll cut him some slack. He's been trying so hard, Michelle-"

"Cut him some slack? Have you lost your mind?"

"Baby, please-"

"I can't do that, Mom," I push. How can she expect me to just forgive him and move past this? He put his hands on us; he abused us. He is abusive. And I'm supposed to sit here and accept that? I'm supposed to accept him into the family again and pretend as if nothing happened? Like I don't have a bruise on my face from when he punched me?

I know how to give people second chances, but I'm not sure he deserves one.

"I am your mother and I'm telling you to give him one more chance," she demands now. Her face is filled with some unreadable expression as tears continue to roll down her own bruised cheeks. I sit and watch as she commands me to forgive my abusive father. She can't be serious.