Chapter 5

Chapter 5

"Mom, I'm home." I called out as I tossed my backpack onto the kitchen table. I could hear my little sisters screaming as they ran through the house, knocking into walls as they went. I scooped up Nyla just as she was scrabbling past me. Her black hair was a tangled and poufy like cotton candy, and on a few strands was yellow and pink paint.

"Slow down, Fuzzball." I laughed as she wiggled in my arms. Nellie had caught up with her and kept trying to grab Nyla's feet. Half her face had been painted blue and her arms were covered in stickers and band-aids. Her springy curls bounced around her face as she jumped up and down. I chuckled and picked Nellie up as well, tucking her under my arm like a duffel bag. She squealed and kicked wildly.

"Put me down!" She giggled. "Put me down, Ashton!"

"Not a chance, Frizzy!" I laughed. Those are my nicknames for the two. Frizzy and Fuzzball, because their hair is always a mess. Grinning, I put Nyla down and tossed Nellie over my shoulder. "Run, Nyla, run! I'll hold her off!"

Nyla sped down the hall and I pretended to struggle with her sister before letting her go. She stuck her tongue out at me and shook her butt before chasing after Nyla. I chuckled to myself and went into the living room. My brother, Marvin, was lounging on the couch with his headset on and playing Modern Warfare 3, his eyes glued on the screen. His backpack was thrown carelessly next to him, and his homework was spread out on the coffee table, half done.

"Seriously, Marvin?" I groaned and he jumped, startled.

"When did you get here?" He asked nervously, although his eyes never left the tv. Glaring, I turned the tv off, ignoring his immediate protests.

"I don't know why you are playing video games when you haven't finished your homework." I snapped. "And you're supposed to be watching the girls!"

"I was!" He answered defensively. "They're fine." Before I could reply, I heard a shatter from somewhere in the kitchen, followed by five year old shrieks. I threw my hands up in their direction and he cringed. I shook my head in dismay and snapped my fingers at his homework.

"Do your homework." I demanded. " And where is Mom?"

"She came home a few minutes ago." Marvin muttered, but judging by what he's been doing all day, I doubt he knew when she came home. Sighing, I went down the hall and peeked into my Mom's room. She was sleeping on the floor, her work clothes still on and half folded clothes scattered around her. I frowned beside her and shook her shoulder lightly.

"Mom. Mom." She stirred and sat up, rubbing her eyes. "Come lay on your bed."

"Mmm. I need to make dinner." She mumbled. "Are the girls hungry?" I shook my head and helped her into bed.

"Don't worry, I'll make them something." I reassured. "You look tired." My mom works two jobs and is raising of five kids, and when she isn't doing that, she's folding or cooking or cleaning. I try to get Xavier to help her, but he's investing all his time in the rivalry. And Marvin just doesn't like to do anything, so I usually don't bother with him. In fact, the girls have been more helpful than my brothers, and their only five.

"How was your day?" She asked, slipping out of her housekeeping dress and into a pair of pajamas. My mom is a hairdresser in the morning and cleans rooms at a hotel in the afternoon, so she comes back everyday exhausted. "Did anything interesting happen?"

Yeah, I got detention for weeks for fighting.

"Not really." I heard the doorbell rang and left to go get it, sighing in relief. I was a little nervous about lying to my mom. She was bound to get a phone call at some point, but since she only has the house phone, I should get to the call before she does. The doorbell rang again impatiently and Marvin groaned loudly before trudging over to the door.