Chapter 17

WARNING. I don't think the part I'm warning about is explicit, but just in case, stop reading at these *** and continue when you see them again. Enjoy ;)

Chapter 17

It was the moment of truth, and frankly, I would've rather been anywhere else. The tension was so thick you'd probably need a chainsaw to cut through it. My uncle, mom, and brothers sat across from me, waiting in silence for me to speak. And next to them was some random woman with glasses and a clipboard. The whole thing had a strange Intervention vibe. I was just waiting for a camera crew to emerge from the kitchen.

"Ashton, this is my fiancè, Jen." He said. Well that explains why he came over. It was to tell us he was getting married! Good for him. "She's a family councillor. I think she can help you guys."

"Don't you think this is a little much?" Xavier said. "We don't need a shrink. What we need is some money and a babysitter."

"And an actual adult." Marvin huffed. "If I'm going to get grounded, I'd rather it be by someone with actual authority."

"Both of you, hush." My mother chided. "I think this'll be good for us."

"So, Ashton," Jen started, "There's so much everyone wants to say to you, but I think it's best if you go first. I know you feel like no one is listening to you, so we wanted to give you the time to clear your head."

"I said everything I needed to say days ago." I muttered, staring at the floor.

"From what I here, it didn't exactly come out in the best way." She said. "And there is a lot your family wants to talk about."

"I don't want to talk." I looked away, trying to contain my anger. Not anymore. "This is stupid. Can I just go now?"

"You still have to say something." Marvin protested. "Like why you flip your sh-flip out all the time."

"I don't have to say anything." I retorted. I went to stand and leave, but I caught sight of my mother. She looked exhausted. Bags rested under her eyes and the spark in her eyes was gone. When I looked straight ahead, I saw my reflection in the mirror and realized something. We look exactly the same. I sighed and sat down.

"I've been playing house for months and I'm sick of it." I started. "I'm tired of watching the girls and grounding Marvin and paying the bills and going to work everyday. I don't have time for soccer or free time. I don't even have time for homework or detention. You want to know how I feel, Mom? I feel like your entire world has been placed on my shoulders and I'm expected to handle the weight. Everyday I'm the one who gets to be mommy. I feed the girls, clothe them, make sure they get to school, pray that Xavier does what he's supposed to and picks them up-

"Hey!" Xavier interrupted.

"-and all the while, I'm failing classes, missing school, skipping practices, and bailing on detention. This isn't my job! I don't care if I sound selfish or ungrateful. I have the right to. And then you just come home one day and you try to punish me as if you've been here the whole time!"

Everyone looked surprised except Jen, who didn't look surprised at all.

"I think we should let your mother talk now and see what she thinks about this. Is that alright with you?" She asked.

"Um...sure." I said uneasily. They all turned to my mother, who took a long, shuttered breath, wiping a tear from her face, before speaking.

"I'm sorry for how things turned out the other day. " She said. "You're going through things that I don't quite understand, but even so, I wasn't there when you needed me. Even though I work a lot, it doesn't mean I'm too busy for my children. I wish you'd told me about Grandma and the landlord. I'm an adult and the mother. Those are things that I should worry about, not you. I didn't know things were this bad, and I know it's because I haven't been here.