Chapter 9

Chapter 9

"Hey." I glanced up from my homework and raised an eyebrow at Kyle as took the seat next to me. Ian stifled a laugh and tried to cover it up by taking a huge bite out of his burger. Still, he couldn't fight the urge to watch us. Why was he here? He'd never been interested in me before, so why now?

"What do you want?" I asked. I didn't mean it in a rude way, but the way I see it, he wouldn't be sitting here if he didn't want something.

"Ouch. I just decided I wanted to sit with you today, if you don't mind." He said politely, leaning back in his chair to stretch. I stared at him hard before shrugging and returning to my homework. It was lunch and I was rushing to finish my homework before it ended. I spent all night watching my sisters, taking care of the chores, and helping Marvin with his homework, so I didn't have anytime to do mine. If I didn't finish, Mrs. Yett would probably add more time to my detention sentence.

"What are you working on?" Kyle asked after I erased my work for the millionth time.

"Stupid Euro History." I muttered. Kyle leaned forward a bit and skimmed through the work before stopping on the question I was growing gray hairs over. His scent washed over me and I unconsciously leaned in a little. He smelled like citrus and soap.

"The Thirty Years War." I glanced up at him, surprised.

"What?"

"The war between Catholics and Protestants is the Thirty Years War." He said and leaned away, returning to his lunch. I gaped at him and looked at Ian, who was looked impressed as well. I snatched up my paper and scooted closer to Kyle, ignoring his triumphant smile. He can flirt all he wants if it means I get an A.

"Can you help me?" We sat and worked quickly through the paper. What I liked about him was that he wasn't telling me the answers. He had a way of picking my brain for information most relevant to the question so, even if I didn't know the answer, I'd know enough about the subject to apply it to my homework. His closeness didn't go unnoticed to me, but a part of me didn't care. Why should I? He's cute and it's not like I'm with anyone.

My eyes wandered his face as I considered the possibility of actually being with Kyle. Danny wasn't an option since he can't get his shit together, and Kyle was here with his attractive body and perfect smile. He was a little mischevious and normally I wouldn't trust someone like that, but he makes it hot. 

"So, what would I need to do to make you mine?" Kyle suddenly whispered in my ear. My point exactly. I shivered as his breath warmed my skin. Ian smirked and pretended not to be eavesdropping. I regained my composure and shrugged, deciding to flirt back a little.

"You're clearly smart. Figure it out." Kyle chuckled.

"Fair enough." I was on the last problem when Kyle draped an arm over my shoulder. My hand paused as I considered how bad this would look to my team, but then I realized I didn't really care. I'm gay. There isn't much I can do about it. I can't pretend to be straight forever. Kyle leaned closer to my ear and opened his mouth, but before he could say whatever he was going to say, Xavier squeezed in between our heads.

"Hey little brother!" He exclaimed into my ear. I shot him an annoyed look and went back to finishing my last problem.

"Can you not yell in my ear?" I asked. Xavier slid into the space between me and Kyle before tossing Kyle a dark glare. Kyle rolled his eyes and pulled away.

"I'll see you later." Kyle said and returned to the football team. Xavier waited until he was gone to turn on me.

"What the hell, Ash! Why were you letting him hang all over you?" Xavier hissed quietly. "What, are you gay?"