Chapter 16

Chapter 16

In less than a day, my life became so much harder than it had been before. Two weeks and Ashton wouldn't even look at me, I couldn't find anywhere for Noland to stay during football practices, my mom has gone AWOL, I didn't have enough money to pay this month's rent, and I was failing U.S. History. It felt like my entire world was crashing down around me and I didn't know what to do about it. I wanted help, but I didn't know who to ask. No one I know could understand what I'm dealing with right now.

When I went to pick Noland up after school, his teacher was waiting outside amongst the other students. I groaned inwardly and smiled as she approached the driver's window. Noland stayed behind to talk to a friend.

"Hi. You're Noland's older brother, right?" She asked, a fake smile plastered on her face. I didn't miss the way her eyes quickly glanced into the backseat, probably searching for a sign of poor hygiene or neglect. I could tell she was beginning to think Noland was being uncared for or mistreated.

"Yeah. How can I help you?" I asked. Noland waved bye to his friend and hopped into the car. Her eyes darted his way before she lowered her voice.

"I need to speak to his mother. I haven't heard from her since the beginning of the school year and I'm concerned. Noland drew this in class today." She handed me a drawing of what looked like Noland and I standing in front of a big house, smiling.

"What's wrong with it?" I asked.

"I told the class to draw their family and talk about them. You know, trips, traditions, their favorite activities. All Noland talked about was you. When I asked him what he did with his mother he told me he doesn't like her. He says that's why she isn't in the picture."

"They don't have the best relationship." I admitted. "But he doesn't hate her. She's usually not around because of...work."

"Daniel, I'm worried about him. He's tardy to school often, some days he appears shaken, and he is looking thin. Sometimes he doesn't have enough money for lunch. I have to ask. Are you having any trouble at home?"

"No." I replied almost immediately. "We're fine."

Before she could say anything else, I started the car. "Thank you for being concerned for my brother, but you don't need to worry."

I didn't say anything to Noland until we were a ways down the street. He was staring out the window.

"Noland..." I trailed off and sighed. "You can't say things like that to your teacher."

"Why not?" He mumbled into his sweater sleeve. "It's true."

"If she tells, people will come to take you away." I said softly. "And I might not see you again. I promise, as soon as I graduate we'll move out. I just need you to hang in there until then. Ok?"

"Ok."I could tell he was sad, and it only got worse when we got home. Luckily, my mom has disappeared for days now, so he could walk around freely without worrying about her rage. While he settled in, I cleaned up the mess she left behind. Should the teacher call in, they'd send someone down to evaluate the state of our home. Hopefully my mom would be here and semi sober if they did.

"Danny?" Noland called from the kitchen. "There's nothing to eat."

"What?" I frowned. I'd just bought groceries. I went into the kitchen and froze at the sight of a nearly empty pantry. Everything from sandwich bread to chips was gone. The fridge was the same. All that was left was a gallon of water, butter, and eggs. The tub of ice cream I'd purchased for Noland's birthday was no where to be found. Angrily, I went to my mother's room, but all that I found were several empty cups of Jell-o.

I let out a cry of utter frustration. What kind of drunk takes off with all the food in the house?

"Danny?" Noland called out uneasily.

"Yeah, sorry. I forgot to get food. I can make you some eggs and then we'll go shopping." I said. The last thing I needed was for him to worry or panic. My mother had already done enough.

While Noland ate, I went into my bedroom and lifted the frame that separated the mattress from the bed springs, where I stashed a majority of my money. My blood ran cold and I froze in horror. The plastic zip lock bag that once held the clothes, food, and house money was gone. That bitch. I raced back to my mother's den and tore through her things in a panicked frenzy. My hands shook when I found the zip lock bag empty underneath her bed.

"Danny, are you okay?" Noland's timid voice behind me only made the situation worse. How was I going to feed him? How would I pay the mortgage? If he's taken from me, it will be a long time before I get him back. If I get him back. I held my head in my hands, trying to come up with a solution.

"Um...Yeah, just...can you start the truck for me?" I stammered. He left and I began to dig through her things, hoping to find something, anything. I was digging through her drawers when a glimmer of light caught my eye in her shirt drawer. I pushed everything aside and burried underneath the clothes was my mother's wedding ring. I hadn't seen it in years. Carefully, I withdrew it from the drawer and studied the diamonds. Everyday I wish I my dad had taken us with him.

"Can I stay home while you shop?" Noland asked.

"I don't know, Noland. Mom might come back when I'm gone."

"Please?" Noland begged. "I promise I'll stay in my room. I just want to finish my homework fast so I can watch a movie."

"Ah...alright." I said, against my better judgement. "I'll be right back."

I was rushing through the store, trying to shop as fast as possible. Everything in me screamed to just grab things and go home, because I'd hate myself if something happened to Noland. That woman in our house may have given birth to us, but she's not our mother. I'm eighteen years old, so I could move out and take custody of Noland, but to do so, I'd have to have a stable source of income, a suitable home, and the ability to meet Noland's needs. Right now, I had none of that.

As I sorted through a rack of bread, I was surprised when I saw Damian choosing fruits to add to his cart. Our eyes locked and I could tell he was going to come my way, so I tried to grab my cart and leave. Unfortunately, he was faster and cut me off.

"Wait, Danny. Let me talk." He said.

"I'm not interested." I said angrily. "Not after the lie you fed to Ashton."

"I know I was wrong and I'm sorry. Kyle took the tape, not you."

"Wow, I never would've guessed." I said sarcastically. "Then why did you say it was me?"

"Kyle and I have known each other for a long time, and he knows things about me that would ruin my life if they got out."

"Don't you think you're being a little dramatic?" I scoffed. "I know about-

"You don't know anything." He hissed and took a deep breath. "I'm sorry. I had to. I'm not saying anymore than that. Please believe me when I say that if I could tell Ashton the truth I would."

"Forget it. Ashton was right." I said bitterly. "I clearly don't know who my friends really are. But you've made it clear that you aren't one."

-

Dedicated to Junjou Romancist because Junjou Romantica is life. Enough said. Lol but seriously I'm pretty sure you've been liking stories for a while and every time I see that username I have an urge to watch the series again. And then I sulk because I want another season. But also you're just an awesome follower :)

Probably a short chapter, but I don't mind. It's not a filler and it says what it needs to say. I'm satisfied.

I'm also looking forward to finishing this so I can take a moment to go back through both this story and Symphony for some serious editing. Like, you have no idea how much they need it. Or maybe you do, if you've read them both ;)