12.

I dropped my beach bag on the kitchen table as the kids sat in the living room.
"I'm so excited, I haven't been to the beach in- i don't know, forever." Monse spoke up as I watched them giddily agree.
Today we were having a celebration, it'll be the first official day my siblings are in town and I'm so thrilled to have them for the month.
I don't see them much, seeing as I'm in school most of the year and I usually stayed at my apartment for the summer near campus
So I decided to get the kids, including Tyus, Kehlani, and I invited Marcus to join us for the beach.
Thankfully Marcus could come because I couldn't fit them all in my Jeep...
"No, I'm shotgun, fuck you." Kehlani barked as she walked upstairs Tyus following behind her.
"No, Keh, I already called it." He bit back shoving her slightly from behind as she nearly tripped over the top step, she quickly turning around fist at her side as they stood puffed chests to one another.
"Good morning, star shines, please no fighting." I pleaded, running to them pulling them apart.
"But I get shotgun, right?" Kehlani looked at me with her sad eyes and I heard Tyus kiss his teeth in disgust.
"Kehlani gets shotgun with me, and Tyus gets shotgun with Marcus, fair?"
"Nah it's cool, I don't want shotgun I just wanted to piss Kehlani off." Tyus walked past us, going to greet the crew.
Why? Why? Why?
"Well, the fun is only beginning..." I squeezed her shoulder going back into the kitchen as the front door swung open.
"Hey guys!" Marcus greeted a cooler in one hand and bag of ice in the other as he maneuvered through the house.
"Hey!" I ran up to him, grabbing the bag of ice from his hand and bringing it to the kitchen.
"Hello, beautiful." Marcus leaned down for a kiss and I smiled pressing our mouths together for a moment.
"Good morning." I whispered before pulling away. "Thanks for the ice, and cooler." I praised, going to the refrigerator and pulling out the drinks and snacks.
"No problem." He assured, turning around as Tyus greeted him brotherly.
"What is up, Marcus?" They exchanged a handshake, pulling each other into a bro hug then standing back and smiling at each other.
"Nothing much big man, congrats on graduation." Marcus praised as Tyus' smile grew.
"Hard work and dedication, am I right?"
"Hell yeah, fucking right." Marcus agreed as they exchanged another testosterone induced handshake before Kehlani walked in.
"Hi Marcus!" She greeted, going in for a hug and he did the same lifting her off the ground with a shriek.
"Little Kehlani, how are you?"
"I'm good," she laughed straightening out the dress she was wearing before standing back, "how are you?" She asked and he smiled with a nod.
"I'm good, and congratulations to you too, Ms. Lani."
"I thank you kindly, Marcus." She curtsied before him with a nod and I smirked watching this all play out.
"Hey guys!" Jamal joined us now in the kitchen.
"Jamal!" Tyus and Kehlani shrieked pulling him into a hug.
"I've missed you guys!" Jamal cheered still in their embrace.
"Missed you too, cuz." Tyus agreed as they all pulled away.
"Today is gonna be a blast!" Jamal assured and they all agreed.
Marcus came over to my side of the island and pulled me against him, shutting the refrigerator door and kicking the top of the cooler closed. 
"Thanks for inviting me."
"I needed another chaperone, 3 kids to one adult, they had to get their permission slips signed, ya know, it's a whole thing..." I shrugged, my finger tracing the collar of his shirt.
"Oh was that it?" He said through a small laugh.
"Yeah." I look up at him fighting my own smile. "The only reason." I gave in, reaching on my tippy toes to kiss his cheek.
"I'm sure." He let go of me and I latched the cooler closed, pulling the handle up right.
"I also needed your car." I turn to him quickly with a mischievous smirk.
"Oh, you're good." He shook his head, with squinted eyes.
"Wouldn't you like to know just how good I really am..." I arched a brow seeing him straighten up quickly.
"Ms. Naomi..." he groaned as I pulled the cooler towards the door, gathering our things at the entrance to make it easier to haul. As I neared the door I could hear the door handle twist and stood back, my heart in my throat nervous to see who was on the other side of that door.
"Hola bitches, lets go to the beach- beach- let's go get away!" The door burst open revealing Jasmine, dressed for the beach doing body rolls on a loop in the doorway.
"Hi, Jasmine." I greeted, relieved and also still some how more nervous.
"Hey girl, damn love that top!" She pointed at my orange swimsuit top. "Can I borrow it some time?" She continued, hand on popped hip.
"Sure." I smiled, finishing pulling the cooler to the door and seeing Marcus look at my wide eyed.
"Jas, what are you doing here?" Monse asked, stepping away from the crew.
"Ruby told me y'all were going to the beach."
"Oh he did." Monse turned to him, her tone not easily hidden and I quickly walked between them.
"Good, the more the merrier." I assure seeing Marcus' eyes become ever wider.
"Is that the case?" Cesar stepped in now, a small mischievous grin on his mouth.
"Yeah, Of course." I looked between him and Marcus in confusion.
"Cool, I invited Oscar to meet us out there. He's busy for now, but he's coming out later."
"What?" Marcus asked, straightening up in defense.
"Oh, okay, yeah that's fine."
"He's bringing the grill, make it a real cook out. I hope everyone works up an appetite." Cesar continued, really twisting the knife.
I gave a tight lipped smile as Marcus folded his arms over his chest looking at me.
"I've just lost mine." He bit.

***

"No- please- mercy." I grabbed onto his arms tightly, hoping he wouldn't drop me into the water.
"And if I don't."
"Is this a bribe?" I smirked, turning around to look at him.
"Is it working?" His hot breath covered the larger part of my neck and I shivered.
"It might be." I put my hands on top of his as he walked up backwards to the shallow water.
"You got me weak, Naomi."
"I have that affect." I grabbed his hand now as we stood towards the shore.
"You really do." He agreed, pressing his lips to my forehead.
"I'm so glad everyone came." I change the subject putting space between us going back to our spot.
"Me too, and thank you really for inviting me."
"Marcus, of course I would invite you." I assure, grabbing a wine cooler and opening it. "I also really needed another driver." I admit.
"I'd let you use me any day." He confessed, and I swatted his chest, leaning against the table we brought.
We stood there for a moment, watching the kids have fun, Kehlani was sprawled out on a towel and Tyus and Cesar threw a football as Ruby, Jamal, Jasmine and Monse all sat in the water in their folding chairs. I smiled, glad that this all worked out. A nice break for them, between home drama, friend drama- just time for them to be kids.
"Hey." Marcus interrupted my thought, and I turned to him sitting behind me.
"What's up?" I walked to him sitting in his lap, he smiled at the gesture and laid his hand on my thigh.
"Is Oscar really coming?"
"I- I have no clue, Cesar invited him." I admit, my stomach in knots at the subject.
"And you had no clue?"
"Not at all, Marcus." I grabbed his hand in mine.
"Weird. It's almost like he's trying to come between us." He thought and I rolled my eyes when he looked away.
"He's not malicious, just relentless, Marcus." I whispered seeing him cringe.
"Okay, Naomi." He squeezed my hand, dropping the conversation.
"Aye, Bonita." That all too familiar voice shouted onto the beach.
"Oscar, hey." I stood up seeing him go for the towel Kehlani was on.
"Oh, shit, my bad." He put his hands up in defense as Kehlani sat up, Oscar and Lani locking eyes.
Not to-fucking-day.
"Lani, go get Cesar."
"Why?" She sassed, staring at Oscar.
"To help Oscar get the grill." I pressed and she pushed herself off the floor obliging.
"Hey baby girl." He came forward, pulling me by the hip to him as I stuck my arm out keeping distance.
"Uh, definitely not, don't be making eyes at Kehlani." I warned as his eyes narrowed.
"Don't worry, lil mama, there's nothing to be jealous about..." he arched a brow, as if he won something...
"Not jealous, just protecting my own." I hissed, lowering my tone as we were still in ear shot of Marcus.
"Well, if you ever get jealous, just lemme know." He winked, walking backwards towards his car as Cesar showed up.
"You good?" Marcus stood up, putting a hand on my hip making me almost hate him for it.
"Yeah, it's all good." I promise, nodding still looking away.
"Alright." He squeezed my hip as Tyus called his name pressuring him to play catch.
I pinched the bridge of my nose the tension between them already getting me bothered- and hot...