Elevator Troubles

Steve 'star-spangled' Rogers POV

I decided to use some of Nico's pancake mixture while he was getting changed for our run. I had done this a couple of times and managed to get a couple of really good pancakes. I drizzled maple syrup on them and ate while waiting.

I noticed that Nico used very little of the mixture for himself; the stains around the rim were very close to the actual batter. I shook it off, thinking maybe the teen didn't eat much breakfast.

He finally came back, and gave me of a surprised look at me, as if he expected I would go without him.

"Sorry, I had to explain to Will where I was going." He said quietly.

"It's fine," I reply warmly. This boy was acting a bit nervous around me as if he expected me to run around on a killing spree and murder everyone in this tower.

I started walking towards the elevator, and I heard him taking a sharp intake of breath. "Are you okay?" I ask.

"I'm f-fine." He replied shakily and stepped into the elevator with me. His eyes looked absolutely terrified as if something really bad had happened in an elevator before. He then held onto the rail, and his hands went white from holding on so hard. He scrunched his eyes and was very relieved when we got out at the bottom. 

I turn to him, "Nico, are you okay? Has something bad happened to you in an elevator?"

He nods, less shaky, as he starts to recover. "I'm fine." He repeats firmly. I knew I couldn't ask him again.

We head out of the doors of Avengers tower (or as Tony likes to call it still, 'Stark Tower'), and started jogging along the footpath. I went slower for the kid, and he seemed to keep up very well. 

I go to a run, and he lags a bit behind, but he was doing better than a lot of kids his age. I slowed down to match his pace, and we did a loop I liked to do and came back. He was sweating and breathing heavily, but had the whisps of a smile on his face. 

I bent down, catching my breath quickly. "You run well." 

"Thanks. and Thanks... for running with me... I haven't done that... for fun in so long." He replies, still catching his breath. 

"It's fine. I like having a running buddy. Can we do it again tomorrow?" 

He gives a bit of a frown. "I was actually up because of nightmares, but I would definitely wake up early again for a run."

I smile and nod. 

We head back up the elevator, and this time Nico was a little less jumpy. He was still terrified of the machine, but he didn't grip the hand rail as if his life depended on it. 

We headed back up, where the rest of the Avengers have gathered with William and a man with his back to us.

He turned, and my heart stopped suddenly. We were in big trouble. 

"Now where the hell have you mother@#$%*! been?"