Clear-sighted

Clint BarTON OF ARROWS

I emptied most of my regular arrows onto a nearby desk, excluding the exploding ones. They may prove useful in this battle.

When Nico was explaining being 'clear-sighted', my mind went through the memories of my childhood. I had seen things that couldn't be explained, except as a hallucination. When I was younger, I used to tell my dad about the experiences; a ginormous bloodhound, following me around a park until it ran off suddenly, a flying human-like figure I had seen soaring over our house, and a car that seemed to follow me all the way through the neighbourhood, just to name a few.

If these strange sightings were in fact monsters, and not the imagination of a 6-year-old kid, I was in a lot of trouble. Why had they been following me all my life? Even now, as an accomplished SHIELD agent, I saw these figures following me. I never told anyone- I had had enough ridicule from my father to last a lifetime.

The new arrows were odd; they were comparable to those that I had seen on an ancient Greek and Roman exhibit. There were groups of them, some bronze tipped with blue plumage, others silver tipped with black feathers, and a majority gold tipped with red plumage and stamps with the initials SPQR on the side. I knew SPQR was a mantra in ancient Roman armies, so this was surprising.

They were also very different from my usual arrows. Thankfully, my bow worked with this style, and I was actually learned with these kinds of arrows, so I was practised in the shape and weight. Then Nico started the battle by attacking a snake-lady.

I pulled arrow upon arrow out of my pouch on my back, and strung it tight across the bow strings. I raced across the enemy lines, turning them to dust with a single well placed shot to the heart. It wasn't that different from shooting the monsters of the human world, but this time I was shooting with the intent to kill.

My subconscious was checking how Steve and the kid where doing. Steve had swapped his sword back to his regular shield, now disembowelling monster after monster. He looked conflicted however, and I could only guess that he still didn't like killing anything.

Nico was a different story, however. The black haired emo kid was racing through enemy ranks, stabbing the monsters, sliding beneath their legs, jumping on their backs from monster to monster, killing them with a single swipe with his pitch black sword. He looked to almost enjoy the exercise, but his eyes kept flickering to a black swirling mass loitering behind the army.

The rest of the Avengers joined the fight, coming out one-by-one. They were fully equipped with their new special monster-killing weapons, except Thor, who's hammer seemed to do as much damage as Nico's sword. 

Natasha made her way through the enemy ranks, approaching me after collapsing another snake-woman's esophagus, leaving it to gasp for breath and eventually fall to the ground and burst into a golden dust.

"So, Barton-" She said, not looking at me, instead, she was locked into a dance of death with the half-goat-legged-half-golden-legged thing that Nico called an Empousa. The Empousa was lightning fast, but Natasha had been trained since she was tiny. She slashed the being in the stomach, and while it was weakened, delivered the final blow.

"-I saw you guys were the first out here. What are these things?" She finished.

I took out one of my exploding arrows, and shot it at a large group. While they were distracted, the two of us ran in and exterminated as many of the monsters as we could before they noticed what was happening. I used a small dagger that I had grabbed from the pile of weapons on my way out.

"He said they were... Empousa and Dracaena. They can-" I had to stop as I signalled my friend to duck as I shot an arrow where her head had been moments before. A bloodhound the size of a car, identical to the one I had seen so long ago (except a lot bigger), with snarling teeth and manacle eyes tripped slightly. It growls at me, and pulls out the arrow with its elongated fangs. 

It started to charge at us, slowly gaining speed. I panicked slightly, shooting arrow after arrow at its thick hide, but nothing seemed to pierce its skin. Suddenly, at the last moment, a green flash knocks the beast away from its path. The Hulk starts to punch it, but the dog gets a lucky shot and its fangs enter the Hulk's muscular forearm. Hulk bellows in anger, and delivers a punch to the beast's jaw. Natasha walks over and stabs the oversized bloodhound, turning it to dust. She stroked the Hulk's arm in thanks, and gets back to the fight.

Soon, with all of the Avengers, Nico, and Will helping, the monsters were all turned to dust. It was difficult to move, as there were so many civilians inspecting the area. But I saw Nico slowly approaching the mass, and Will following behind, held up slightly from asking Tony something. 

Stark managed to keep the press busy, and moved them away from the black mass. I understood he wanted them not to get hurt, if that thing was dangerous. It seemed to be the one who organized the attack, as it must be unusual for a large group of monsters like that to attack a building like that.

I slowly followed the two boys, eager to find out who- or what- that thing was. I got close enough to hear Nico's first attempt at conversation with it.

"What are you?" He asked curiously.

"An old friend of yours, son of the Underworld." It rumbled. Its voice was deep and sad, and the aura surrounding it was making my knees wobble. It let out pulses of sheer depression, sadness, and loss. It made me relive my darkest memories. "Oizys, or Miseria, daughter of Nyx and goddess of misery, anxiety, grief, and depression."

There we go, people! Sorry for not updating much, I have been super busy doing nothing ;).

Hope u like the cliffhanger ;)))))))))