-Chapter Eight-

_____

_____

"What the hell was that?" Peter yelled. I pushed past him, trying to ignore him. "Lyra! What just happened?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," I shrugged, trying to convince him he didn't see anything.

"I'm talking about the fact that you just electrocuted some guy in an alley!" Peter ran up next to me.

"I think you're delusional because that didn't happen," I shrugged. I knew he wasn't convinced and that my pathetic attempts were useless. We walked past a street lamp that illuminated his face in the dark light, showing how desperate he was to know what had just happened.

"C'mon. You know I'm not seeing things otherwise you'd be taking me to a mental hospital. What the hell just happened?" He yelled at me. I finally got fed up, turning towards him.

"There was a girl who was in trouble! This guy was being a jackass so I went out into the alley, beat him up, and electrocuted him because I'm a mutant! Is that what you wanted to hear?" I screamed at him. He went silent, staring at me in shock.

"You're a mutant?" He breathed out. I held up my right hand, squeezing it and blowing the lightbulb out of the street lamp overhead.

"Does that answer your question?" I asked. I then turned and sped walk away, towards my hotel.

Peter didn't follow.

•••

I spent the next week avoiding Peter. He tried to talk to me. He came up to me before school, after school, during school, and pretty much anytime he could. I shook my head and turned away every time. I'm not sure why, but he never gave up on trying to talk to me.

I kept my head down. I ignored him. I ignored everyone. I didn't listen to Pink Floid because I couldn't without thinking about Peter.

It was the end of the day when I walked to my locker, glad to be done with the school day. I opened up my locker, noticing a small note fall out. I picked it up off the ground before shoving my books in and reading the note.

Meet me behind the bleachers. Please, Lyra.
-Peter

The handwriting was messy, as if he was writing it when he was nervous. I sighed, closing my locker and heading out towards the bleachers.

•••

"You came," he smiled as I walked up behind the bleachers with my hands shoved in my pockets.

"Well you did say please," I joked, half smiling. "What do you need, Peter?"

"It's not what I need. It's what you need for me to need to show you," he smiled, grabbing my hands and dragging me more behind the bleachers.

"Huh?" I knit my eyebrows.

"Never mind," he waved his hand. "Just...stand here and watch carefully." He turned around and faced the long stretch of bleachers. He then turned back around. "Oh, and don't blink." I was confused as to what he meant before I saw him disappear, only a flash of silver following him. Within the blink of an eye, he reappeared, wearing a sombrero.

"Why are you wearing a sombrero?" I asked, surprised when he had reappeared in front of me.

"I just disappeared and reappeared in front of you and you're wondering why I'm wearing a sombrero?" He laughed.

"Yes, yes I am," I crossed my arms.

"I stole this from the party store down the street," he smiled.

"So...what the hell just happened?" I asked him, quirking an eyebrow.

"I just ran really fast to the party store," he laughed.

"So either you're a mutant or the fastest person I've ever met."

"Can't I be both?"

•••

Author's Note:
Sorry it was so short!
Okay, the next chapter will be a little boring, but the one after that will be pretty exciting and it'll get a little more gushy with the feels and such, so stay tuned!
Thank you for reading!