-Chapter Seventeen-

_____

_____

I smiled at the group as we all stood in front of the plane. I was standing besides Peter who had is arm around my shoulders, his weight shifted onto his right foot.

"Lyra, Peter, thank you very much for your help," Charles spoke. I nodded.

"I hope it was worth it," I eyed Erik.

"So do I, kid," Logan sighed.

"Hey, I saw your flight plans in the cockpit. Why are you going to Paris?" Peter asked, tilting his head to the side. I elbowed him in the ribs. "Ow," he whined as he rubbed his side. "Why do you abuse me so often?"

"I only hit you when you're being an idiot," I mumbled. He stuck his tongue out at me.

"So all the time?" Charles joked. I nodded with a laugh. Peter glared at me, but couldn't hide his smile.

"Hey, Lyra, can I talk to you a minute?" Logan asked. I nodded and walked out of earshot of the rest of the group.

"What's up?" I asked Logan.

"I just wanted to tell you, that you're gonna have some hard times ahead of you, so make sure you stick around the people you trust," Logan told me.

"How do you know-"

"Just trust me," Logan begged. I nodded. He looked over at Peter, who was glancing over at me. "You know how much he cares about you, right?" I looked at Logan, confused.

"What do you mean?" I asked him.

"You might want to read his mind and emotions more when you're around him," Logan chuckled. "And, he can be an idiot sometimes, but stick around him. He needs you just as much as you need him."

"Noted," I nodded. "Will I ever see you again?"

"Oh yeah," he smiled. "It'll be a little while, but we'll meet again. We're actually very good friends." Logan looked away as if he said to much.

"You're from the future, aren't you Logan?" I asked, but I knew the answer.

"Of course not," he shook his head, but he followed it with a wink and a smirk. I laughed, nodding.

"Your secret is safe with me."

"I know," he smiled, pulling me into a hug. He hugged like a father figure, making me realize just how safe I had once felt with a father, but now he was leaving too. Just as my real dad had.

"See you soon," I smiled at him as we both pulled out of the hug.

"See you soon, kid," he smiled at me.

We walked back over to the group as Charles threw Peter the keys to the rental car.

"Do me a favor and return it," Charles asked Peter.

"That's not a good idea," I laughed.

"Shh," Peter put his hand over my mouth. I snorted with a laugh, taking his hand away from my mouth.

Charles turned, about to walk into the plane but quickly turned back around to face Peter and I.

"Oh and Peter, take it slow," Charles warned. Peter started laughing. Charles eyeballed me.

"Don't worry, I'll make sure he does," I smiled at Charles. Charles eyed me before going up the steps. Peter and I glanced at each other, smiling.

•••

Peter and I had driven the car back to the rental place. Peter took every opportunity he could to speed, which was pretty much the whole car ride.

I sat on the window sill of the car, laughing whenever Peter accelerated on the speed.

Once we had gotten back home, I was laying on the couch next to Peter, my head resting on his chest. I was on the verge of sleep when I started mumbling to him.

"Thank you, Peter," I mumbled, keeping my eyes closed. I could feel him shift slightly under me, looking at me.

"For what?" He asked. I looked up at him with sleepy eyes.

"For everything. For helping me in the alley. For always looking out for me. For being a person I can actually trust," I smiled, placing my head back down as I had been before.

"I should be thanking you," Peter said.

"Why?" I asked him, my mind on the verge of sleep.

"For being the most amazing person I've ever met," he mumbled.

"Goodnight Peter," I smiled.

"Goodnight, Lyra," he mumbled. I felt him lean down as he kissed the top of my head. I felt his emotions. Nervousness. I wrapped my arms tighter around him in attempts to calm his nerves. I could feel him smile as he hugged me tighter. I checked his emotions again and he was feeling only one thing. Happiness.