-Chapter Ten-

_____

_____

I smiled as I sat down at the booth, which was the exact same booth we were put in last time.
We laughed and joked when we were supposed to be studying, but neither of us really cared.

At the end of the night, I had gotten up to leave, arguing with Peter when he demanded he was paying for our food. I lost the battle and walked out, waving goodbye to Peter.

I walked down a dark street, turning onto a smaller one that was in between two buildings. It was small with one single street lamp, so not many people go down it.

I felt three energies following behind me. Each of them were angry and blood thirsty, but there was also a small hint of fear. I walked faster down the street, not in the mood for a fight, but it seemed they were.

One ran up behind me, thinking I didn't notice them. I elbowed them in the nose, twisting around and kneeling them in the stomach. I then twirled my fingers, creating multiple sparks of electricity. I flicked my wrists, throwing the energy blasts at the two others running at me, knocking them back. I flicked my wrists again, creating a ball of energy and blasting it at the two, making them wheeze and fall to the ground.

I was too busy with the other two to notice the one I kneed in the stomach get in from the ground. He grasped my wrist, slapping a metal bracelet onto my arm. I instantly felt the extra energy vanish from my body. I could no longer feel their emotions or the energy surging through my bones. My powers were gone.

The two behind me ran up, one punching me in the back. I spun around, swinging my fist. I hit one in the throat before kicking the other in the chest. I turned, elbowing the third one in the temple.

I rotated back and forth, throwing punches and kicks at all three of them. I had no idea who they were, but didn't care at the moment.

Headlights streamed into the alley way, a person jumping out of the car. I noticed the person holding a crowbar, which eliminated any hope I had of it being someone to help me. I was caught off guard when staring at the fourth person. One of the three right next to me punched me across the face, making me fall to the ground in pain. Before I could get back up, another kicked me in the stomach. I fell back down to the cold stone.

"You will die the same way your parents did," one of the people said. I winced. They're mutant hunters. I tried to get back up, but was forced back down with a punch to the face.

"The pain is just beginning," one of them smiled, evilly. The fourth one holding the crowbar, held it up. I watched at the one singular light glistened off of it's metal. The person then brought it down, hitting me in the back. They brought it up and down, up and down, hitting me repeatedly. I felt blood drip out my mouth, my body weaken with each kick, punch, and hit.

I barely noticed when they left. My body was numb from pain. The only sign of life still in my body was my shaky breaths and shaking fingers.

I slipped in and out of consciousness, darkness taking me every few minutes. This is how I'm going to die. The same way my parents did.

"Mom...dad..." I whispered, my voice shaking as I stared up at the sky. A blurry face appeared above me. At first, I thought it was another mutant hunter coming to finish me off, but the silver hair gave it way. "Peter," I smiled. I figured he was a figment if my imagination, but didn't have a chance to figure it out as I fell completely unconscious.

•••

Peter's POV

She had walked out of the restaurant, smiling her famous smile. I paid the bill and stood up, about to walk out, when I noticed she had forgotten her history folder. I shrugged, picking it up and deciding I could run over to her hotel and drop it off at her room.

I got to her room I the blink of an eye, noticing that something was off. The light was on and the door was cracked open.

"Lyra?" I knocked on the door once, which caused it to swing open. I took a couple steps in, suddenly horrified by the sight I was met with. Her room was trashed. Her bed sheets were all over. Her dresser was knocked over, the drawers out. Clothes were strewn all over the room. Someone had broken into her room. "Lyra!" I yelled in the room, dropping the folder. I ran around the small room, looking under every sheet and in every spot she could be in, which wasn't many. "Shit."

I ran out of the room, swinging the door closed behind me. I ran round the city, looking for Lyra in every street, in every house, in every alley.

I stopped in one dark street, only a mile away from the restaurant we had eaten at. I saw a body laying under the single dim lamp. I ran over to the body, knowing right away it was her.

"Peter," she mumbled out, her head falling to the side and her eyes closing as she fell unconscious. Her clothes and hair were bloody. Bruises covered the skin that was showing. Blood dripped out of her mouth.

"Oh dammit, Lyra. What happened to you?" I mumbled, picking her up bridal style. I ran home, as fast as I could, carrying Lyra in my arms.