Realization

The longer that I stared at Nora's father, the more that I realized how seemingly emotionless and young that he was. He only seemed to be in his mid to late thirties.

Weird... There's something wrong here...

My mouth curled into a smile as I stared down the man. He flinched slightly and cleared his throat before speaking again.

"You're really a friend of Nora? I'm so glad that she found someone that is there for her!" He exclaimed. Before he could ask or say another thing, my mouth opened wide and I blurted out the one thing that I should never tell someone I don't know.

"Oh, that was a lie. It's nice to meet you! I'm Nora's girlfriend"

My face flushed bright red almost instantly and the man chuckled to himself. It didn't seem like he was upset like a father would be, so I'm sure that he isn't related to Nora. The man came closer, placing a firm hand on my shoulder and smiled.

"How nice! You must excuse me, but I lied to you as well. I'm just a friend of hers. We are practically like siblings, at least I would say so." He laughed. I continued to stare him down until he told me his name because it may be useful for later. "Ah, sorry, where are my manners? My name's Conner Yale. " I didn't even answer him and headed straight for Nora so that I could sit by her until she woke up. Conner followed me over shortly after and began, what I assumed to be, checking me out. At first, I paid no attention to it and continued to focus on Nora. It wasn't until he leaned over to smell my hair that I jumped out of the seat and swung my fist at him only for it to be deflected. He seemed to... enjoy me struggling and even pulled my hand upward towards his face.

"Back off you creep! I'll call security on you if you don't fuck off out of here!" I shouted in retaliation. His laughter grew louder as he opened his mouth and dragged his tongue across my fist. When I opened my mouth to scream, "Conner" quickly covered it with his free hand and jerked me to the ground to hold me down.

"Ah, you smell lovely! You taste just as good as well... I would love it if you would join me and my other girl tonight for some fun... She did say I could invite one more..." He chuckled. My sense of everything completely disintegrated before me as well as my understanding of what had happened.

Who is this man?

Why is he in Nora's room?

Is he dangerous?

What is even going on?!

"Go fuck yourself!" My highly intelligent side blurted out amongst the chaos. The man leaned over again, preparing to do something else, but was interrupted by the intervention of a nurse. She pulled him off of me and threw him out of the room before coming back over to question me.

No one knew who he was, or even what he was doing in Nora's room. It is a mystery to everyone there, so they insisted on moving her to a more secured part of the hospital with twenty-four hour surveillance. Quite honestly, the relocation didn't really ease my worry. For now, the only thing I can do is patiently wait for her to wake up so I can be there for her...

As I got ready to enter the room though, a red flashing light shined from the inside of her room and a siren began to go off.

She just got moved in there! What happened? I need to see her! Fuck!... Damn it all!...

Rather than avoid her room, I burst through the door to see what was wrong. There were doctors and nurses all around her, trying to remain calm when it was clear that they were stressed. My eyes darted at the heart rate monitor that she was hooked up to which caught me up on the whole situation...

Her heart stopped beating... No... No... Don't leave me here alone... Nora..!

A doctor lifted up defibrillator pads and placed them onto Nora's bare chest to revive her.

*Zap!*

One...

*Zap!*

Two...

*Zap!*

Three...

They prepared to shock her a forth time, but out of nowhere the heart monitor started to pick up a heartbeat again and the pads were removed while the group of professionals remained silent. A nurse came over to remove me from the room so that they could focus more on Nora, but I refused to leave until someone told me how her condition is. Finally, one of the doctors came over and explained to me what her condition, the more serious one, actually is...

"The name of the condition is called Friedrich's Ataxia. It's incurable and is a degenerative neuromuscular disorder that... slowly causes the ones that it attacks to suffer from mobility complications and eventually die at very young ages. There isn't much we can do for her here, so it's likely that she will... not be here much longer." They said, holding back any sign of sadness to prevent me from getting upset as well.

"How long... does Nora have?" I dared to ask. They pondered for a few moments before answering me.

"Maybe a month or two only, but as of now it seems to be a month. We will keep a close eye on her, so you should go home and rest Ms...?"

"Belmont. Adelle Belmont, but I'm planning on getting my last name changed to Goebel once Nora and I... well, you'll see soon enough..." I frowned. The doctor walked off without another word as I remained in front of Nora's room to wait for something good to happen, but right now that doesn't seem too likely...

Nora... is suffering so much... I want to be with her... I don't know what I'll do if she... If she does though, then I'll join her!... She would probably get upset if I do anything like that though...

I have to keep my promise... I have to... I have to... For Nora...!