Hiding

After many anxious days passed, Nora was finally released from the hospital. Though I am happy about that, it easy to say that her health has taken a turn for the worst. She has hearing aids in both of her ears now because she can no longer hear as well. She was also given a wheelchair because she can't even stand on her feet for more than a few seconds. Everything is falling apart... yet Nora seems so happy.

She has been smiling more as of late, which is odd since... since she only has about another month to live...

Where has the time gone?

It feels like it has been ages since we had gotten together, but in actuality it has only been a few weeks or so... I think...

I no longer keep track of time. It scares me to do so.

Nora can't even go to her classes anymore. Her family withdrew her from them. To make her feel better, I wanted to withdraw from mine for the time being so I could care for her, but alas she rejected my idea with that painful grin on her face as she waved off my concern and replied,

"I'm fine... Adelle... I... promise..."

Though she told me that, I knew that it was all a lie.

Beads of sweat rolled down her face from her holding back all the pain and suffering that she was experiencing.

She held back tears as she tried and tried to stand up only to be met with failure.

Her constant hand and leg motions to try and prevent any further damage to her body.

She is in a lot of pain, but there's nothing that can stop it.

I can't do anything.

I want to, but I can't...

Nora...
Nora...
Nora...
I'm so sorry...
Forgive me...
Don't leave me...
Please...
Stay with me...!

I have to act normal. I have to act as if there is nothing wrong. I can't worry her. I can't show any emotion. I'll be seen as weak and—what's wrong with me?

I'm going crazy... I have to calm down... It must've been that weird guy who got me all fucked up! I bet he's planning something... I have to protect Nora... I'm the only one who can now...

Shit class is over... I didn't even pay any attention today... Oh well, now I can go see Nora!

I sprinted towards the dormitory again. The school is allowing Nora to remain here until... that happens since she already paid for the room. I can't wait to see her! I've been thinking about her all day! I just want to be there every second of the day to be by her side. She needs someone to... She needs me...

Or does she?

She does! I help her out with everything and I'm always there to support her, but... but does she feel the same way?

What if she doesn't?

I stopped running towards Nora's room and tried to shake off the ominous feeling I was experiencing.

Nora loves me. I know she does because she said so! Nora does love me... I love Nora... Nora and I love eachother a lot... She wouldn't lie to me... No...

I continued to her room and was welcomed by a slight smile that hid all her pain and suffering once I entered. I waved to her and crouched next to her as she remained in her wheelchair.

"How... was... class?" Nora asked me slowly. I frowned and then chuckled as placed my lips against her forehead.

"It sucks since you aren't there with me..." I laughed. Nora gave me a stern glare and puffed her cheeks out at me.

"You didn't... pay... attention today... either... did you?" She asked me, reaching out to hold my hand. I grasped hers and sighed.

"No... It was too boring... I can't without you there..." I smiled. She groaned and squeezed my hand a little tightly.

"Adelle... start taking... your studies... serious before you regret... it..." Nora begged me. I rolled my eyes at her before getting back up to stand behind her wheelchair.

"Yes mother. Anyways, why don't I take you out for the day? I got two tickets to that awesome amusement park that's an hour away! You were telling me how you—"

"Adelle! Please!" She cried out, "just... just stop..." Nora pleaded. I released my grip the wheelchair's handles and let out a soft breath.

"N... Nora? What's wrong? Why don't we hurry and go out so that—"

"Adelle!" Nora cried at the top of her lungs, "stop... I just... I can't... anymore... Everything hurts...! Why can't you see... that I'm... a lost cause!?" She screamed. I let go and backed away from Nora to give her space.

What is she saying? What does she mean? Nora?

"Now why don't we calm down...? Oh! I'll go out and get your favorite coffee! I'll be back soo—"

"Adelle," Nora started, "I'm done... I can't... keep dragging you... down like this... Why don't you... go find someone... else...? Someone who... will make you happy... and live a long life... with you..." She said.

No! Please don't! I don't care if you don't live a long life with me! I want to be with you!

"Nora, you and your jokes! You know that I love you! Why would I—"

"Adelle, there are... different definitions of... love... Are you sure... that you don't... pity me?" Nora asked me. My heart dropped down to my feet.

"O... Of course not! Nora, I really do love you!" I exclaimed. Nora smirked and tilted her head to face me as she examined my facial expression. After a few seconds, Nora mumbled something to herself and sighed.

"You seem... rather angry... Adelle, why are you... by my side? Why do you... insist that you love me...? Why?" She questioned me. A lump formed in my throat.

Why am I so nervous?

"I want to be there for you...! I want to love you with all my heart! Nora, please don't do this! Nora, don't leave me! I'm scared to be alone without you!"

Oh... My real true feelings are starting to slip... There's no stopping them now...

"I hate how I can't do anything! It's eating me from the inside! I'm beginning to question everything I know, even myself! Don't leave me Nora! I really do love you!" I cried out. I waited for Nora to say something, but all she did was smile at me...