Break Down

I sat patiently by Nora's side, tapping my foot repeatedly against the granite floor and the sky flashed outside. Assuming that Nora's parents are here, one can only prepare for the worst. From my imagination, they don't seem to be the best people to have for parents. Then again, I haven't met them yet... I don't know them, and they don't know me, but that's precisely the reason why I have to prepare myself for the worst case scenario.

Looking down at Nora, I could tell that she was in a quite a bit of pain. She kept wincing in her sleep every few moments or so which didn't ease my anxiety and worrying at all. The sky continued to flash brightly and the Earth rumbled slightly after each flash. It's only a matter of time until her parents make their appearance...

As if it was on cue, a knock came at the open door and there stood a male and a female. The lady was about 5'11 with ash colored hair while the man was quite short, maybe about 5'5 or so, with a shaven head and a ginger beard. The two of them gave me a bewildered look before calmly walking over and sitting themselves down on the other side of Nora's bed. No one said a word, but I could already feel the judgement that radiated off of them. While the woman seemed rather emotionless towards Nora's condition, the man reached out and rubbed his fingers over Nora's knuckles as he silently wept.

"May I ask who you are, or do I just assume you're a friend of hers or something?" asked the woman in a agitated tone. I glanced up at her to see her staring at me with irritated eyes and a partially opened mouth with which she showed her teeth grinding together. I took a deep breath and tried to remain confident and relaxed.

"I'm... Nora's fiance." I said flat out. Neither of them reacted at all to that and instead only gave a slight eye raise to acknowledge what I said. The woman then let out a sigh and  then leaned over to whisper to the man. It was then that the two got up and left without saying anything else to me or even to Nora. Even if she wouldn't be able to hear them, it's the thought that counts.

Hours passed by as I hoped that the two would return, but that was something that didn't come true. Even though they did signal me that they heard what I said, it was as if they didn't care what Nora did anymore or who she was hanging out with. Parents like that... shouldn't exist. I'll be here for Nora then while they go out and do whatever it is that's more important to them. I'll protect Nora.

I waited and waited for some sort of sign that Nora would awake, but alas nothing of the sort came. No nurses had stopped in to check up on her and no doctors came to run any tests. It was quite odd, so I took it upon myself to leave and request at least one nurse come in to check Nora's vitals and condition. As I waited by the nurse's desk, the man and the woman were seated a bit further down the hall, so I snuck over and tried to listen into their conversation.

"I just can't understand what Nora's thinking! Wanting to marry another women? How preposterous! We examined many fine men for her to marry, but no. She just had to go and make an idiotic decision like that! Well, William, why aren't you speaking up about it?" The woman demanded to know. The man slumped in his seat and rolled his eyes.

"Honestly Sophie, it's Nora's life. I don't care who she marries, it's none of our business really. As long as she's happy, then that's fine." He responded. The woman was visibly upset by what he said and stormed off away from him. I chuckled to myself and soon enough my smile disappeared at the realization that Nora still hadn't woken up yet after being in a coma for quite a while. Soon enough, I was back in the room with Nora and waited for someone to come in and explain to me exactly how she was doing.

I waited hours upon hours until I was forced out of the hospital due to the visitation time restrictions. No one had uttered a word about her condition which made me feel worse about everything. It's as if they don't care if she lives or dies at this point...

It's my fault that Nora got into such a predicament... I should've been watching her more closely... This is my fault... I'm at fault for all the pain and suffering that she's in right now... I'm pathetic...

I wept as I stood out in the middle of the hospital parking lot, crying loudly to myself and wishing for some sort of miracle to save Nora from her fate... Alas, I knew that there would be no saving grace of any sort this time. Nora was destined to die apparently since she was born. Carrying the weight of such a rehabilitating disease could only result in such a demise. There was no way to prevent it, for it was all inevitable.

There really... there really isn't anything good about Earth and living and any of that without her... Once she's gone, what'll happen to me? I don't know if I can live on without her... How can I go on without Nora? I don't believe I would be able to properly function without her to balance out my negative aspects...

My sobs grew louder and louder until I broke down further and laid in the middle of the parking lot. At this point, I didn't care if I was attracting attention or even creating a scene. Nothing mattered anymore to me. The one I love is suffering, and there's nothing that can be done about it. Her mother gives no shits and her father doesn't speak up as much as he should to the mother. It's all so fucked up.

... Right now I just wish it would stop storming already... This weather isn't making anything better and is making me feel worse about the situation than I already was...