Chapter 16 - Thawfest

--------------------
Hiccup's POV:
--------------------

"Ahhhh! Toothless! Are you kidding me. You just disrupted an awesome dream." I yelled at him as I sat up in bed covered in his spit. "Ewww gross!" I said wiping it off me." He popped his spikes in two and gave me a gummy smile.

"What's up with you?"

"grrrrgrrraawww!" He nudged me jumping up and down knocking over my table. He came back with my wood calendar in his mouth.

"Oh, that's what your excited about. It's Thawfest day. Errrrr!" I fell back on my bed landing on my pillow.

I hate Thawfest. Snotlout always wins and it's bad for me because I'm chief and everyone expects me to be the strongest. I can easily win, I can honestly say because I'm a lot stronger then I used to be. But I feel really guilty if I don't let him win. He has never lost a Thawfest game so me and everyone else says who ever comes second is the real winner then because we just don't include Snotlout anymore. I decided to get up and just get this day over with.

I walked out where I see Cloudjumper getting a stomach rub from mum. Toothless ran up to them and fell down on his back expecting mum to give him one to.

"Oh, you big baby!" Mum said giving them both a pat as they lay next to each other.

"Come on Toothless we have to go get ready to loose again." I said sadly.

"Your entering Thawfest?" Mum asked.

"Yeah, just to loose to Snotlout again."

"Well I guess I better tell you that Snotlout isn't in the games this time. He can't move his leg after that terrible terror."

"Join the club Snotlout." I said referring to my leg. "WAIT! Did you say he isn't in the games?!"

"Yes, he isn't in them today."

"Haha, yes. Finally I can actually win without throwing the race for him! Come on toothless."

--------------------
Astrid's POV:
--------------------

I begin walking towards the woods to practice throwing my axe when Hiccup ran into me.

"Ahhh! Hiccup, what are you doing!" I said as he helped me off the floor.

"Sorry Astrid. I'm just running to the arena to practice because Snotlout isn't in the games today. Means I finally have a chance to win!"

"Snotlout isn't in the games?!" Finally! Now you can win!" I said excited.

"Wait don't you want to win too?"

"Oh I do! Believe me I do! But I want you to prove to the village that your not a weak chief."

"Thanks Astrid. I'll see you this afternoon then." He said deciding if what I said was a complement or a insult.

"Sure thing!" I answered as I continued towards the woods.

--------------------
Hiccup's POV:
--------------------

"Let the Thawfest games commence!" Mulch yelled out with Bucket as we walked into the arena.

"First up, the sheep lug!" Mulch said queuing us to line up with our sheep. The crowed were cheering at us, Fishlegs at one end then Eret, Tuffnut, Ruffnut, Astrid and me.

"Any days a good day for lugging sheep mulch." Bucket stated.

"Indeed Bucket! Ready folks?" Mulch said as he hit his hook on Bucket's bucket.

"Go!" Both hosts of the games shouted as we took off running around the area with sheep on our back as everyone cheered watching us from above.

It wasn't hard and I would probably be way ahead if it wasn't for the stupid metal leg. I kept slipping on the wet rocks but at least I came through the finish line second. Eret came first.

"Knew you could do it Eret!" Ruffnut said hugging him.

"Ehhhh, get off please!" Eret demanded pushing her away from him.

"Next up the log run!" Mulch said as two men put a log attached to two metal posts in the middle of the arena. We all climbed onto the turning log. "Ok then, who ever stays on the log for the longest wins! And GO!" He hit Bucket's bucket again.

We began to run and first to fall off was Ruffnut the pulling down Tuffnut with her. Then Fishlegs fell pulling Eret down too. So Astrid and me were left running on the log until she just 'happened' to fall off. I could totally tell she did it on purpose because she made a perfect landing on the floor.

"One point for Hiccup!" Mulch yelled as Spitelout put a line of paint next to my picture on the wall.

"And lastly the axe throw! Today it isn't the axe throw though. It's been decided that you choose your weapon of choice to throw and hit the target! So contestants please choose your weapon. Yes! Finally I can pick something I can actually use. Astrid picked up her axe as usual while tuff and ruff picked up a mace Eret got a spear and Fishlegs got a hammer while I just got my sword.

"First up Fishlegs!" Mulch yelled and Fishlegs threw his hammer at the target but completely missed as when he went to throw it he dropped it behind him.

"Hehe, um, meant to do that." He said rubbing his head.

"Ok then, next up Eret!" Eret threw the spear and hit, just missing the target.

"Tuffnut!" He threw his mace and it hit the floor.

"Ruffnut!" She threw her mace and it did the same as Tuffnuts.

"Astrid!" Astrid threw and missed! What missed? She never misses. I can totally tell she is throwing the game for me. Great I feel really guilty now.

"And lastly Hiccup!" I could hear the crowd cheering for me. Mostly because they just like to see my sword. I took it and set it aflame. I threw it and it hit the target right in the centre. Well that was unexpected I honestly thought I would miss.

"Hiccup wins! That's two points for Hiccup, one point for Eret and zero to everyone else. The dragon events begin tomorrow morning! So contestants have your dragons ready for the follow three events. Dragon barrel dodge, Dragon save and destroy and Dragon tricks! The one with the most points at the end WINS!" Mulch explained and everyone cheered and left the arena.

"You know, you didn't have to do that for me Astrid." I said running my fingers through my hair.

"Yes I did, I need you to win. I don't want the town to look at you the way they used to. Now that your chief and all."

"I feel really guilty you throwing the game for me though." I said.

"Do you want me to compete then." She asked.

"Yeah. I would prefer winning properly then winning because people let me." I said trying not to offend her but she just kissed me.

"Fine but you'll have to bring your full game tomorrow if you want to beat me!" She said walking out of the arena.

"Thanks Astrid."

"Oh nice throw by the way." She said smiling as she hopped on Stormfly and flew home.