Wattpad Original
There are 63 more free parts

Chapter 23

Arrogant asshole, prick, motherfucker, egotistical dickhead—

My ass still tingled where Graysen had slapped it.

While Sage quickly disappeared on me, no doubt to go and dig up one of his old bones to gnaw at, Graysen had kept up his stupid-ass chant for ages. I could hear it from inside my bedroom until it drove me so mad I started throwing my stress ball against the wall separating our two rooms in a ricochet of annoying thuds. He turned his music up, loud, every so often roaring that I wanted to kiss him.

Infuriated, I'd stormed out, needing to go for a run, to burn myself and that creature out. Except I hadn't gone just yet.

Kiss him? In your dreams, Crowther!

Still annoyed, I flung birdseed through the aviary. My mother's thrushes and finches and sparrows were gathered on the long grass greedily pecking at the seeds.

A chinking noise made me turn.

My mother sat primly on the wooden bench with a teapot in her shaky hands. The teapot's spout rattled against the fine china tea cup as she tried to pour herself a fresh cup.

Long blades of grass brushed against my shins as I padded quickly over to where she sat, taking the teapot from her cold hands. "Here, let me."

The amber liquid splashed within the cup and on wisps of steam, the smell of bergamot floated through the air. I carefully handed the cup and saucer to her and they shook a little in her trembling grip. Her blue eyes were glassy and held a faraway quality, but she was smiling. "Thank you, Nelle."

Sitting down beside her, I smoothed my skirt over my thighs, and stretched my legs long, curling my toes into the grass like it was a plush carpet. We did this every morning before I disappeared into the woodland. I fed the birds while she sipped tea. Both of us mostly quiet in each other's company.

I sighed, pushing aside the conflicting emotions Graysen had stirred within me this morning, rolling my neck and closing my eyes briefly, feeling the warmth of the morning sun coating my face. It was a glorious summer morning. Thin streaks of clouds in a bright blue sky promised an afternoon of blistering heat. Amongst the chittering bird life and the gentle burble of water flowing from the birdbath, the soft drone of insects added a layer of melody to my mother's humming as she smiled, watching the bustle of men and women spreading around the flattened marquee adjusting ropes and pulleys as they readied to raise the roof.

"It'll be magnificent when it's finally set up for tomorrow night," I said, toying with the folds of the pale blue dress I wore. Evvie had shown me her moodboard and talked endlessly about all the things she wanted for the evening event. She was more focused on the actual engagement party than the Horned Gods' blessing that would take place first.

A chilling sensation shuddered down my spine. I certainly couldn't say that I was looking forward to that either.

My mother blinked at me as if just realizing I was still there. "Oh, yes. Indeed."