Wattpad Original
There are 38 more free parts

Chapter 48

"Ew," I grouched, but I was smiling and the laugh that erupted from my throat was genuine

"Ew," I grouched, but I was smiling and the laugh that erupted from my throat was genuine. I let it douse the burning anger I held for Graysen, but once that fire was gone, all I was left with was a hollow kind of pain.

Aldan Reska, a mountain of a man in a black tuxedo and bow tie, chuckled as I rubbed the spot just beside the corner of my mouth, where he'd placed a chaste kiss then blew a godsdamn raspberry on it like I was five years old.

Fine lines creased from his wide set thin eyes, the deep brown irises sparkling with mirth and white teeth flashing as he grinned broadly. He slung a massive arm around my shoulder and gently bopped me on the nose with a fist. "Nelle."

"Aldan," I grinned back, swatting him good-naturedly on the arm.

House Reska governed the illegal gambling halls. They used the magic of others, the kind whose power were entwined with emotions, to infuse the atmosphere in those places to heighten the thrill, urge a higher bet, to dig deeper into pockets slowly being emptied into the Horned Gods' coffers.

We didn't see one another as often as I'd have liked, but I adored Aldan's company when we did. He was mostly quiet and restrained, but with Lise, with us, he allowed his softer side to show. And with me, his playfulness. I was the little sister he'd always wanted, one full of mischief.

"Still raising hells with Crowther?" he asked, eyes gleaming with curiosity to learn just how I'd messed with Graysen this time.

"Of course," I replied with a wicked grin. "I spiked his whiskey with chili juice a few nights back."

And then he kissed me—

Stop, right there. Don't think about it.

A rich chuckle burst from Aldan. "Brilliant."

"I'd like to think so," I replied, however, I glanced away because right at this moment it didn't feel so good anymore. I didn't feel so good anymore.

"And what about tonight?" Aldan asked.

I lifted a shoulder as if I hadn't thought about it. Setting Graysen on fire, it would seem my pranks were getting a little more vicious. A little more lethal.

Aldan wiggled his thick eyebrows. "Just say the word and I'll make him disappear. Dump him into the ocean, feet encased in concrete."

I stifled a sigh.

Knowing Graysen, he could probably breathe underwater.

And then my eldest sister appeared, her arm linked with my mother's.

Annalise's body was swathed in a dress of apricot and her tawny hair was swept up in a sleek chignon. She didn't need anything but a touch of mascara on her lashes and a dabbing of lip gloss on her pouty lips to enhance her beauty. She was radiant during pregnancy.