Wattpad Original
There are 58 more free parts

Chapter 28

The longer Graysen stared at me, the more my heart did stupid crazy things, like flip and swell with delight

The longer Graysen stared at me, the more my heart did stupid crazy things, like flip and swell with delight. But there was some small part of me screaming for self-preservation. "I don't trust you."

I don't trust you'll not hurt me.

He sighed, deeply. "You shouldn't."

Suddenly, his ankle hooked around my own and I jolted, yelping, as he dragged me closer. I fell into him, my tiny form wedged against his. I spread my hands over his chest to keep my head above water and he wound an arm around my lower back to help steady my balance. His hard pecs flexed beneath my cool palms and I shuddered, gritting my teeth against the delicious sensation.

We didn't speak. I wasn't even sure I was breathing.

My bare skin pressed against the friction of his jeans and his t-shirt. His heat warmed my chilled body, and that damned hyper-awareness of him skimmed my flesh in pulsing waves.

His gaze lowered, coasting along my neck down to my breasts half-submerged. "I've often wondered what might be hidden beneath those dresses that swamp you." His black eyes glittered with appreciation.

I slapped his chest. "Always your indecent mind."

He grinned, cocking a mischievous eyebrow. "Ah-huh."

His handsome features grew serious. "Let's put aside that I'm a Crowther and you're a Wychthorn." And he sucked in a breath as something dark swept across his expression as if he warred with himself over a choice he had to make. As if this was imperative that we forget who we were to one another. "Why don't we forget that I'm an asshole and you're wicked mean."

"Wicked mean?" I laughed.

He nuzzled my neck. The roughness of his jaw abraded my sensitive flesh. The sensation was a turbulent contradiction. I wanted to arch away. I wanted more. "Lovely wicked Wychthorn," he purred.

Oh, hellsgate, I might be immersed in water but even I could feel my panties dampening.

"I'll be your friend for the day." The words were whispered in a hot swirling breath against the shell of my ear. A thrill ran through me. And I couldn't help the tilt of my chin, how my lips parted with a soft sigh.

His hands glided down to cup my ass, drawing me closer, and as our legs tangled beneath the water I felt his erection pressing against my thigh. Stone hard, even in this cold water.

I cleared my throat noisily, practically squeaking, "That doesn't feel particularly friendly."

"Oh, but it does, little bird. It's showing just how much I do like you."

He suddenly pushed me away and flipped me around and over.

I squawked, spluttering, "What the?!"

His other hand spread under my back and pushed me up to float. His chuckle rasped through the air. "Relax."

And I did. Though it took a while to loosen my limbs and tame my heartbeat. He treaded water and I floated on my back staring up at the sky. The heat of the morning sun had burned away the wisps of clouds. A pair of blackbirds darted overhead, swooping down to snatch insects buzzing over the surface of the cool water.