I heard he was raised by wolves...

In my head-pounding, hung over daze, I rolled, slipped, and fell out of bed, feeling like someone had stuffed cotton wool in my eyes and pushed me down a steep cliff. I got up and pulled the now very itchy sequin dress off and got the fright of my life when I realized I wasn't wearing any underwear. I knew I'd left the house with panties on last night. Hadn't I?

I was already running late for work—I had accidentally pressed the snooze button on my phone way too many times—but I couldn't rush to work looking like I was.

I grabbed some cotton wool, dunked it in make-up remover and attempted to wipe the thick, chalky layers of black smoky eye make-up off my face. My red lipstick was smudged and one of the false lashes was clinging on like a dry leaf. The make-up was coming off, but the glitter was more stubborn. "A highlighter babe. Fab," JJ had said as he'd emptied the entire jar onto my face. The glitter was sticking to my face like glue and some bits had even lodged themselves into my hairline. The wig was even worse. The clips holding it in place had twisted so badly that everything was completely stuck—no doubt from rubbing my head back and forth in the backseat of a total stranger's car. Instant nausea rose as I started to think about it again—Crap.

But the wig was my top priority right now, and I was left with no choice but to painfully rip it off. I yelped in pain as tufts of brown hair came out in chunks, then I cursed the wig and tossed it onto the floor. I couldn't believe I'd actually worn the thing—it looked like a dead Maltese puppy.

I dissed my usual middle part, scraping my hair back into a ponytail. Contact lenses out—after inventing some new yoga poses to pry them from my dried-out eyes—and glasses on. Black pantsuit, white-collar shirt and a pair of semi-high heels. Then one last mirror check before running out.

On my way to grab my laptop bag and a handful of headache pills, I passed JJ and Bruce's' room, but before I could give them a vengeful knock, my passive aggressive attempt at punishing them for their part in my early morning state, I saw the note

Sera,

You naughty, naughty girl! We heard you caused quite the parking lot spectacle. Dinner tonight, we want all the juicy details.

XX

J&B

I sighed and, as I went out to my car, my face went red-hot at the thought of telling them what had happened.

My twenty-year-old Toyota had been acting up lately. Another thing to add to the growing to-buy list, along with socks without holes, black pumps with non-peeling soles and now some new undies. But I just couldn't afford a new car right now—or ever—not between paying back loans and secretly sending money home to my sister Katie.

"Please start, please start, please start," I pleaded.

My job was the most important thing in my life. Without it, I wouldn't be able to help Katie and she'd be at our dad's mercy. There was no way I was going to let that happen. I cannot afford to do anything to jeopardize it.