T H I R T E E N

The whole stadium was dead silent, you could hear a pin drop. My fingers curled into fists at my sides, my eyes narrowing in focus. We were all lined up, like soldiers charging into battle, dressed proudly in our teal football uniform, our cleats digging into the soft ground.

And then the whistle was blown.

Everyone sprung into action, like pressing resume on a paused action film. The stadium burst out in hollers of encouragement and booing. I sprinted forward, catching up with the player on the other team who had taken the ball hostage. I tried to tackle the ball, but he was too fast, flicking it to his teammate. I didn't go after it, I just blocked my current player, making sure he couldn't receive the ball again.

The game went on mostly the same way, putting pressure on players so they messed up their passes. By halftime, Phoenix had scored us a point and the other team were still stuck on zero. We all jogged over to the sidelines once the whistle blew, huddling in, our heads close together as the coach fed us instructions for the second half.

We all nodded in acknowledgement, drifting towards our side of the pitch to grab our water and have a quick rest. I congratulated Phoenix on his goal as he poured water down his back, a thin layer of sweat glistening on his forehead.

He grinned proudly, patting me on the back, "I'm counting on you during the second half, Bakker." He winked. "Is Rosa here?"

"Why?" I asked curiously, leaning up against the wire mesh fence as I watched him wipe sweat from the back of his neck.

He shrugged, "Just wondering."

I rolled my eyes, "Right. Well, don't get any ideas, she's leaving tonight."

"Damn. Well, at least there's still Sam."

I scoffed obnoxiously loudly, "Yeah, like she'll ever see it that way."

"Alright, boys! Go out there and score us that win!" The coach shouted excitedly, earning howls of eager approval in return.

I was running, sprinting. The ball was rolling before my feet as I controlled its every move. My eyes twitched up to concentrate on the goal up ahead. I'd have to be fast and precise to get this. I spared a quick glance at the players surrounding me, almost catching up as they closed in around me. I readied myself for one sharp kick.

I tripped over my feet, my face planting into the wet grass and mud as everyone sprinted past, sweeping the ball along with them. I stumbled to get up, my body trembling, my legs wobbling. Thankfully, my luck grew as the game progressed and I actually managed to score a goal before the end of the match.

The score was three-two to us. The whole team cheered, sharing a rough group hug as people began piling onto the pitch to congratulate us. My friends all closed in around me and Phoenix, shouting playful insults and patting us on the back. Daya kept a close, curious eye on me. She'd been looking at me strangely since Rosa told her about the fire. It made me uncomfortable and itchy, but I knew Daya could keep a secret. And if it bothered her that much, she would have confronted me by now.

I caught a head of tousled white hair, lurking by the stands and quickly broke away from my friends. I'd invited Theodore, but I wasn't sure if he'd come. He was lingering on the edge of the pitch, leant up against the metal stands, pressing his glasses up his face. "You came." I grinned widely.

He nodded, smiling up at me, "You played really well, L-Luca." He told me, biting his lip.

I smiled proudly. His stutter had been slowly fading with the more time we spent together. I knew it'd never fully go, but it was reassuring to know that it was steadily evaporating. "Thanks. I'm glad you're here."