T W E N T Y F O U R

"So, what did you talk about with Sam and Daya the other day?" I asked Theo, sliding the money across the counter. The girl exchanged the note for some loose change and two tickets.

He shrugged, "N-Not much. You, mostly."

I rose my brows teasingly as we drifted over to buy some popcorn, "Yeah?"

"Yeah, I-I mean, it was Daya who mostly wanted to talk about you since sh-she knows and all." He shrugged as I quickly gave our order to the teenager behind the counter. "Sam wanted to know about this." He blushed as he ran his fingers over a fading bruise on his neck, light teeth marks visible in the form of purple streaks.

I chuckled, thanking the cinema employee as he handed us a big box of popcorn before we slipped out of the queue. "What did you say?"

Theo blushed again, fiddling with his sleeves as we made our way to the right screen, "I-I said it was from a Spanish boy who was here on holiday." He confessed. "I said it was a one time thing and he's g-gone back to Spain."

I laughed as we navigated our way through the shadowed aisle to try and find our seats. We were right at the back, tucked away in our own little corner. "Smart." I commented, knowing that this way, Theo wouldn't be bombarded with questions. "Should I be jealous?"

"Maybe a little." He chuckled, leaning into me slightly. The movie theatre was almost completely empty, save a few people sat nearer the front. It was some horror film that's been out a while now, and the buzz had died down, which was presumably why there was barely anyone here. "Th-They invited me to hang out with all of you."

"D'you wanna?"

"I-If you want me to."

I rolled my eyes, slipping my fingers through his to give his hand a small squeeze. It was dark and shadowy and barely anyone was here. I could be as romantic as I wanted. "I do. It'll be fun." I smiled. "So, what'd you think of practice?" I asked teasingly.

"You were good." He smiled shyly. "R-Really good."

The movie started, the lights dimmed and we stopped talking. I was growing increasingly proud of my movie choice as the film progressed. We'd pushed the armrest aside so Theo could bury his face into my chest whenever something scary happened. My heart warmed with excitement whenever he'd tighten his grip on my hand or curl up at my side for protection. I slung an arm over his shoulder to pull him closer as he stole cautious peeks up at the screen. I must admit, the film was pretty scary and I'd definitely have to make it up to Theo for forcing him into this situation.

He sighed in relief when the credits started rolling, glancing up at me in embarrassment, "S-Sorry." He blushed as he pushed away from me.

I laughed, "Don't be, maybe we should have watched something a little more PG thirteen." I apologised. "C'mon, I'll drop you off."

My eyes stung as we came into contact with the harsh, artificial lighting of the foyer. The air was chilled and thick with darkness by the time we exited the cinema, making our way back to my car. Theo was clinging onto my sleeve slightly, his eyes darting back and forth nervously. Okay, maybe that movie was a really bad idea, I was starting to feel guilty.

I turned the radio up as we drove through the shadowed streets, nearing his house. "Theo, is it bad for someone to say the word faggot even if they think you're straight?" I asked abruptly, my brows furrowing in curiosity.

He was silent for a moment, I almost thought he wasn't going to answer. "I-I don't like that word, Luca." He murmured. "I don't think anyone should say it unless they're queer themselves."

Images of red paint and cold tears flashed through my mind and I instantly regretted opening my mouth. Bold letters vandalising his parents' store were plastered across my vision and I wanted to bang my head against the steering wheel. "I'm sorry." I apologised hastily.

"Who said that?" He queried quietly.

"Sam." I sighed. "She said she wasn't comfortable with gay people."

"Sh-She seemed pretty comfortable with me." He added. "I don't think she's as b-bothered as you think she is."

"Really?"

"Milo used to use that word as an insult all the t-time." He confided. "It made it even harder for me to c-come out, I was so scared. But when he found out I was gay, h-he never used that word again. He still apologises to this day."

I sighed as I looked out at the dimly lit roads ahead, "I'm sorry to hear that." I murmured, "So, you think that if Sam were to find out, she probably wouldn't care?"

"I don't know, Luca." He whispered. "I-I hope so."

The rest of the journey was silent, filled with the crackly buzz of an old song neither of us knew. Once I pulled up at his house, he asked me if I wanted to stay the night. Obviously I wanted to accept, but I wasn't sure whether he was only inviting me to be polite. But then I caught a glimpse of his expression through the darkness and I knew he meant it. And besides, I couldn't leave him alone after that film, he'd be trembling all night.

It was getting late, so we had to creep up the stairs quietly, just like last time. I wasn't in the mood to be confronted by Milo right now, so we made sure to be extra careful. Once the door was shut and locked, I took refuge as far away from his pet snake as possible. "I am not sleeping in the same room as that thing." I declared, staring menacingly at the scaly creature.

"You did last time." He chuckled

"I was a little too focussed on you last time." I argued.

"A-And you're not now?" He teased, his lip caught between his teeth.

I rolled my eyes, "Course I am." I mumbled, pulling him towards me by his hips. "But that thing really creeps me out."

"She's n-never escaped before. Plus, she w-won't bite."

"I feel like she's watching me." I stated uncomfortably, glancing over his shoulder in apprehension.

He pulled away from my grip, turning to swing his wardrobe open. He grabbed a jacket and draped it over the glass tank, obscuring the black and white scales from view, "Better?"

The second she was out of view, my shoulders slumped in relief and I practically tackled Theo to the bed, littering his face with small kisses. My lips ran across his cheeks, forehead, nose, down his throat and back up to brush across his lips. "How tired are you?" I asked with a grin.

He giggled, his fingers curling around the fabric of the football jersey I was wearing. "Not very."

"Good." I mumbled, leaning down to press my lips firmly against his. He hummed into my mouth, pulling me closer.

It was dangerous how fast I was falling for this boy.