I - Cecilia

"MEG!! GIVE IT BACK!" I yell at my sister, feeling along the walls in an attempt to find her.

"I'll give it back when you admit you like to sing." She said, her voice coming from a few meters in front of me.

I darted forward trying to retrieve my bow. "I enjoy singing but no one said I was good, now give it back." I said crashing into her. I heard a snap.

A gasp left my mouth. I knew tears were pooling in my eyes, threatening to slip out of my closed eyelids. "D-did you..." I trailed off.

"No. I was just carrying a stick from outside and your bow. The stick broke not your bow, I promise!" She rambled in a panic. I released a sigh of relief before tracing my hand up her arm to find the hand that clasped my bow.

"Please stop taking my things, Meg. You know I can't..." I assumed she nodded because a hurried yes spilled from her lips after.

"I should head to the ballet. Mother will lecture me if I'm late again." I smiled sadly before she walked away.

I slowly made my way back to my room. Madam Giry gave me my own after so many of the ballet girls complained about my playing. I played a variety of instruments in the orchestra since I wasn't allowed on stage. I played almost every string instrument, all percussion instruments, and the flute. Madam Giry tried to teach me to sing, but then realized I had to dance or move no matter what, and I would run into people.

I settled in my chair and grasped my cello. It was by far my favorite instrument to play. I pulled my bow across the strings as it gave me the sound I loved. I played up as high as I could go before going to my lowest note. I reached into my mind and pulled up the first song we would be playing in Hannibal. I played my part with the rest of the orchestra in my head.

I was startled out of my music when a knock resounded through the room. I jumped to my feet almost dropping my bow and cello. "Cecilia, it is almost time." Madam Giry's voice came from the knocker.

"I'll start heading that way in a moment." I said gathering my cello and bow. I heard her footsteps walk down the hall. I took a deep breath before leaving my room and heading to the orchestra pit.

We did very well, it was an amazing performance. Especially with Christine singing instead of Carlotta. I nearly purred at how pretty her voice was. Her, Meg, and I were good friends so my pride for her grew.

When it was all finished I walked back to my room happy as could be. Nothing could go wrong when Christine was singing. I slipped into my room carefully putting my cello away. My smile didn't fade as I changed into a dressing gown. I slipped into bed and waited for sleep to take me.

Sleep wouldn't come. It evaded me with skilled steps as if toying with me. I just wanted to sleep. I sighed and slipped out of bed at to my chair. Pulling my cello from it's case and running my bow across it. I played and played but sleep never got close. I wasn't exhausted. Not in the slightest bit tired.

My anger grew with the volume of my playing. Why was sleep evading me? Why was I unable to fall into that blissful quiet?

I sagged, finished with my musical rant, letting out a sharp huff. Sleep wasn't coming tonight. I stood and slipped on a velvet robe before walking out my door.

I slid my hand across the walls in an attempt to not get lost in this maze of a building. I brushed my hand over a candle holder hearing it click. Before I could register what it was I felt the floor beneath my feet disappear. I felt myself falling and my hair drifting behind my descending form. I let out a shriek as I fell down to whatever laid below my feet.