IX - Cecilia

I was excited to be playing Il Muto tonight. It was fun music and as I settled next to Alexander, one of the many male cellists, and my friend I smiled at him. With a few greetings we went over the normal routine.

One tap meant that we had an abrupt cur off and I had to stop. Two taps meant we had to start again from where we left off. Three taps was a special situation and he would murmur the instructions to me.

Alexander had been helping me a lot this year with playing in the orchestra. It's been really hard work being blind and playing with a crowd. We sighed as the music began and it was going just fine before a booming voice was heard throughout the whole building it seemed.

"DID I NOT INSTRUCT THAT BOX FIVE REMAIN EMPTY!" Alexander didn't even have to tap me for me to stop. Some women shrieked and someone dropped an instrument before hurrying to pick it up again.

I recognized that voice. "Erik...?" I said not realizing I said it allowed.

"What did you say, Cecil?" Alexander asked. I shook my head as many things happened. Carlotta croaked instead of sang, Christine was given the Countess role and suddenly we had to play act three's ballet. Then there was screaming again.

"Alexander what's going on?!" I asked frantically. I wanted to know why there was always screaming when we were playing.

"A man has just died." He muttered in disbelief.

"What do you mean? Who? How?" I demanded. "Explain things to your blind companion!"

"Joseph Buquet. Hanged. On stage. He's turning purple..." Alexander trailed off in disgust.

I still had no idea what purple was. I knew it was a color, but what was it really. Was it warm or cold? Was it gentle or hard? Was it sharp or smooth? I felt a sadness creep into my heart.

Everyone I knew Joseph Buquet was an awful man so I doubted he would be missed. I didn't miss him. I felt for everyone who had just witnessed their first murder. It wasn't a pleasant sight or so I'm told.

We were all ushered out of the orchestra pit and sent back to our homes. I was one of the few musicians who lived in the opera house.

I made my way to my room and began to play my feelings again. I was so frustrated I didn't get to play all that I wanted. I was sad that so many innocents witnessed a man's death. I was annoyed with my blindness.

The song finished with those emotions before becoming like a calm beach. Soothing and cooling. I relaxed as I played for god knows how long. I hummed softly with my music and nearly purred every time I played my favorite note.

I heard the doorknob click and ceased my playing. Turning my head towards my uninvited guest with what I hoped was a look of pure annoyance.

"Can I help you with something?" I asked briskly. I wanted to play my music not talk with some fop.

"Would you keep playing?" I heard that brooding voice before, but this time it sounded so sad and defeated, so unlike its confident and sure sound from before.

"Erik?" I gently laid my instrument down and stood. "What are you doing here?"

"I apologize for the interruption but your music relaxes my soul." He said softly as if scared I would send him away.

A sudden thought came over me. "Erik... were you the one who shouted during the opera today?" I asked.

He drew in a breath before releasing it in the form of a tired, "Yes."

I looked in his direction. "Are you the Phantom?" I asked blatantly.

He was silent for a moment I assumed shocked. "I am." He said slowly as if he may run if I attacked him.

"My apologies. You said that you wanted box five open and everyone knows that box is the phantom's. Christine told me that Raoul was using it lately. So I understand you must've been angry with him." I explained.

He stood there I assume. The floorboards didn't creak. He didn't say anything. There was no rustle of fabric. It was like he was waiting.

"I understand you came to hear my music yes?" Silence. "I shall play. You are still my Erik even if you are the phantom as well." I muttered to him.

I heard the creak of my bed as I settled in my chair with my cello. He was listening. I smiled and began another song.