XI - Cecilia

After Erik fell asleep I stood and moved to the room over to play a bit more before falling asleep on the floor with my bow at arms length. When I returned to my room Erik was gone and I was summoned elsewhere.

The managers offered me a chance for a solo at the New Years Masquerade Ball. I accepted thinking it would be fun to actually play for people knowingly. Last time I was so shocked. I needed something noticeable to wear according to the managers. They happily provided the funds for me to get a dress and mask.

Madam Giry helped me find a dress and mask for the occasion. I struggled with the seamstress as she suggested things I couldn't see. Eventually I had a dress and a mask. Both were incredibly soft. The mask was made of feathers and the dress was made of some of the softest material I've ever felt.

Madam Giry said it was a black dress with a dark blue sash around the waist and I knew it covered my entire torso with a choker like thing around my neck. Giry said is was called a turtle neck dress. All I knew was my arms were cold. My arms weren't covered in the slightest.

Then there was my mask. It was made of velvet and dark feathers and covered the upper half of my face leaving only my lips in view, or so I was told.

As I settled in my chair I felt eyes settle on my slim form. Curious as I brought my bow to the strings. I started with a loving waltz just to kick things off. I heard a violin follow my lead and join in my song before more and more instruments joined in.

It was a dream come true and so much fun. People were enjoying my music even as it nearly drowned in the rest of the musicians. I heard them gossip and compliment my skill. I heard men whispering about how impressive it was that I could play without music.

I smiled and opened my eyes. I knew it was not going to let me see but I enjoyed having them open while playing. I suddenly heard people go silent and gasp in fear.

Lowering my bow I listened intently to my surroundings. Many people had ceased their playing.

Finally someone spoke. "Why so silent, good monseurs?" Erik. "Did you think that I had left you for good?" I heard his footsteps coming down the marble stairs.

"Have you missed me, good Messieurs? I have written you an opera! Here I bring the finished score. Don Juan Triumphant!" I heard a stack of papers smack into the floor and people suck in a breath.

There was a slight pause before he spoke again. "Fondest greetings to you all... a few instructions just before rehearsal starts." I heard his footsteps move down a few more steps. "Carlotta must be taught act, not her normal trick of strutting round the stage." The shift of a cloak. "Our Don Juan must lose some weight, it's not healthy in a man of Piangi's age." There was more shifting of clothing as I slowly put my cello down and he spoke once more.

"And my managers must learn that their place is in an office, not the arts." He sighed his last word like he was embracing a lover before walking down a few more steps. "And our star, Miss Christine Daae... no doubt she'll do her best, it's true her voice is good. She know though that should she wish to excel she had much still to learn. If pride will let her return to me, her teacher... her teacher." He sounded so desperate for her to chose him, I knew Christine was fairly smitten with Raoul so Erik would not be happy if he found out.

I heard a dress shift as Christine made her way towards Erik. I'd had no idea that Erik had taught her to sing but I suppose it made sense. He could speak well, singing was not out of the equation.

After a moment Erik spoke angrily. "Your chains are still mine!" The sound of a breaking chain and multiple gasps throughout the room echoed I'm my ears. "You belong to me!" Erik shouted before rushing up the stairs past all the frozen people.

My compelled me to stand as shrieks filled the air and I rushed towards the stairs. I miraculously made it all the way up before falling into an unexpected hole.

With a sense of deja vu I fell into the cold world below.