VII - Cecilia

I woke to a cold room and no blankets. All of them had been thrown to the floor as if I'd been thrashing in my sleep. I pulled them back up and made my way to the door. No dizziness took hold as I stood so I was optimistic.

I barely took a step before I thought of grabbing my broken one to see if it could be repaired. I had my doubts but I might get lucky. I searched for my bow only to find a small parcel with silk ribbon wrapped around it on my case instead.

I slowly opened it and felt around inside only to feel a bow. It was well cared for and well made. The wood was strong, stronger than my previous one. What shocked me most was although the wood was different it had all the same carvings. I felt for the ribbon again as someone opened my door.

"Cecilia!" Meg shouted from the door. "You're up! What's that?" She asked.

I looked in her direction sensing her come closer. "A bow. My other one broke and I was going to get it fix but I found this one in its place. Can you find a note or anything?" I asked poking some of the silk.

I heard her settle on the floor with me and pluck up the ribbon. "Aha! There's a note."

"Well hurry up and read it." I nudged her shoulder.

"Alright, alright. It says 'Your bow was unable to be fixed but I've made you a new one as close to the original as I could. If it pleases you, play it. If not, you may do as you wish with it. I await the music you create with your cello.'" She finished. I heard her check over the card again. "No signature, no stamp. Any ideas who sent it?" She asked.

I thought a moment. I assumed it was Erik but I couldn't be sure. "I have some suspects but I'm not sure." I muttered caressing the bow. It was so beautifully made.

I heard Meg stand and head towards the door. "You should get some rest. I'll go get you some food." She said walking out the door before I could protest.

I didn't want to sleep anymore. I pulled up my cello and played my favorite note with the new bow. It came out better than ever before. I nearly cried at how beautiful it sounded. I began to play softly as to not attract a crowd again and thought of the feel of the bow. It was a bit heavier than I was used to but not in a destructive way.

I played high and low with a newfound ease and I thought about trying for higher. I moved my fingers to my highest note position and then moved them a bit higher. I played higher note after higher note before I was unable to go any farther without breaking the cello. I stroked a hand down the strings finding they had been replaced with fresh strings.

They weren't frayed at all. First the replaced bow then the strings. I would kiss Erik if he had done this. No one could be made me happier than I was in this moment.

I laughed as a single tear left my eye. I gently put my cello and bow carefully into the case.

Meg eventually came back with a tray of food and scolded me for being out of bed. I was happy she was here for me. She was such a big sister.

She had to go to rehearsal though causing me to be alone with my thoughts. I wanted to thank Erik. He had to be behind the bow and cello strings. Who else would've done that for me without asking for something in return.

I smiled as I once again picked up my bow and began to play.