VIII - Erik

Il Muto was going to present tonight. Yet I was unhappy with it. Christine was the silent pageboy and that wench Carlotta was the Countess. Exactly the opposite of how I instructed.

Not to mention I was irritated with myself for staying up late fixing Cecilia's bow and replacing her cello strings. I should've been sleeping. Why was I helping her? Being nice to her?

I shook myself and went to get my supplies for the opera. I didn't have time to be thinking about crazy cellist with pretty eyes. I had to think about my angel, Christine.

She was all that mattered right now. She was the one that needed to become the main star. She needed to thank me for all I've done. If she gets this leading role her name will become known throughout all of Europe. She could repay me with love and affection. I wasn't asking for her first born child or something like that. Just love.

No one had bothered to love me all my life. Not my mother. Not the gypsies. Not the Opera Populair. I love my music and my Christine but nothing more. There was nothing else in my heart.

Liar

My mind whispered the word and didn't elaborate. I grew frustrated again. What was I lying about exactly? I only loved Christine and my music. That statement suddenly seemed a lot weaker.

I did love Christine. I did love my music. Yet there was something else I loved with the same amount if passion. I simply wish I knew what it was. I shuddered and went to get my things before heading out.

I went through the day with conflicted thoughts and frustrated feelings. I was entirely unable to figure out why my mind was tormenting me so.

I groaned and made my way to the stage where I switched out Carlotta's spray for my own concoction before moving to box five. It was again occupied and in my rage I made my way up to the ceiling and watched the beginnings of Il Muto.

I watched as the small Piangi mimic pretended to touch Christine's rear. My anger extended. I was barely containing my anger before and that set me off. I released my rage in a earthshaking roar.

"DID I NOT INSTRUCT BOX FIVE REMAIN EMPTY!!" I know that it sounds like that is what I was mad about and I was truly upset about. I simply couldn't yell out 'Don't you dare touch my angel! She's mine!'. That might send the wrong message. I could've sworn I heard my name but no one knew it except Madam Giry and Cecilia, but Madam Giry knew better and Cecilia was out of commission.

My angel had said something I couldn't hear causing Carlotta to whirl on her with an angered expression.

"Your part is silent little toad!" She shouted.

"Pehaps it is you who is the toad madam." I said before leaving through the door behind me.

I made my way to the catwalks hearing Carlotta croak instead of the wretched sound she called singing. I smiled a bit to myself as she was ushered off stage and my darling Christine was put in her place. They then shifted to act three's ballet which was total chaos. Those sheep were simply not cooperating.

I nearly laughed when Joseph Buqeut saw me on the catwalk. Well shit now I had to kill him. I made my way towards him and he tried to run. Why do they always try to run? Why can't they just stand in one place and let me kill them?

After a brief game of cat and mouse I had my Punjab around his neck. At that moment it was over for him. I felt no pity. No one would miss the scoundrel. I shoved him off the catwalk the rope suspending him over the ballet dancers who screamed and ran into the wings.

The whole auditorium erupted into madness as I saw Christine run up the stairs to the roof with that fop named Raoul. I quickly followed staying to the shadows to avoid attention.

When I reached the rooftop I found my dearest Christine and the son of a wench Raoul confessing their love to each other before they kissed. My heart broke with the display. I felt so betrayed by the one I held most dear.

As they left I reached for the rose Christine had dropped. I had given it to her and she left it here as if it meant nothing. My heart seemed to collapse as my eyes welled with tears. My dearest Christine.... abandoned me.

She left me for that fop of a man. I grew so angry I made my way off the roof after pouring out my grief, heading towards Lord knows where. I simply drifted through my passages and hallways before collapsing in one to cry once more.

I heard a faint music coming from somewhere above me, soothing my anger and sadness. I had a feeling it was Cecilia. She would be the only one playing at this time of night.

I hummed to her music, words drifting into my head as my hands itched for paper to write them down. I relaxed bit by bit and made my way out of the tunnel, realizing it was the same tunnel I'd first met Cecilia in.

I walked towards her room and paused before the door. With a deep breath I grabbed the handle and slipped into the room.