XVI - Erik

After leaving Cecilia I went to the rafters of the opera house to prepare for the big night. After finishing preparations I returned to my lair to change into my outfit for the night.

I slid the black mask on in place of my normal white one before walking to my miniature stage. I plucked a candle from its spot and slowly turned it over setting the small stage aflame. I hummed a small tune as it burned.

When it was finished I made my way up to the real stage, where Christine awaited me. When I arrived Christine was singing so perfectly to the orchestra. I quickly disposed of Piangi and slipped in, perfectly on cue of course.

"You have come here, in pursuit of your deepest urge. In pursuit of that wish that till now has been silent... silent." I sang. "I have brought you, that our passion may fuse and merge. In your mind you have already succumb to me, dropped all defenses, completely succumbed to me. Now you are here with me... no second thoughts." I made my way closer to her. "You've decided... decided." I swished my cloak. It made me feel magical.

I started singing again. "Passed the point of no return, no backward glances. Our games of make believe are at an end. Passed all thought of 'if' or 'when'. No use resisting, abandon thought and let the dream decend." I swoop in and gently grasp her pale neck. "What raging fire shall flood the soul? What rich desire unlocks it's door? What sweet seduction lies before us?"

Christine stares at me awestruck. Hopefully she remembers her lines. "Past the point of no return, the final threshold. What warm unspoken secrets will we learn beyond the point of no return?" I finish quietly.

Christine glanced up to my box where Raoul sat before singing. "You have brought me to the moment where words run dry,to that moment when speech disappears into silence... silence." Her heavenly voice carried perfectly through the audience. Everyone was enthralled by out voices. "I have come here, hardly knowing the reason why. In my mind I've already imagined our bodies entwining, defenseless and silent." She turned to me before continuing. "Now I'm here with you, no second thoughts, I've decided... decided. Past the point of no return, no going back now. Our passion play has now at last begun. Past the thought of right or wrong. One final question, How long should we two wait until we're one?" She sang so beautifully.

We were climbing the spiral stairs on opposite sides when we continued our little game. "When will the blood begin to race? The sleeping bud burst into bloom. When will the flames at last consume us?"

I joined her in her song as we sang together I felt my heart swell, I was so close to her. She wasn't shying away even though she knew what laid under my mask. "Past the point of no return the final threshold, the bridge is crossed so stand and watch it burn." I brought her close to me, relishing in the feel of my love so close to me. We passed the point of no return." We finished together.

I glanced at Raoul to see his heartbroken face gazing down at us. I nearly grinned as I quietly sang to Christine. "Say you'll share with me one love, one lifetime. Save me lead me from my solitude. Say you want me with you, here beside you. Anywhere you go let me go too, Christine that's all I ask of-" Suddenly my mask was ripped away showing my curse to the world around me.

I felt my heart shattering at the betrayal I felt in this moment. Gasps and screams were heard from all around and I quickly cut the rope that held the chandelier and kicked a peg that dropped us through the platform and down through the stage.