6x06 - You Can't Handle The Truth

Motel – Day

Dean has an entry about Gabriel's horn of truth up on his laptop. He drains a glass of whiskey. "Castiel? Hello? Possible loose nuke down here, angelic weapon. Kinda your department. You hear that, Cas?"

"Hello, Dean" Castiel appears.

"Are you kidding me? I have been on red alert about Sam, and you come for some stupid horn?!"

"You asked me to be here, and I came"

"I – I've been asking you to be here for days, you dick!"

"I didn't come about Sam because I have nothing to offer about Sam" Castiel tells him abashed.

"Well, that's great, because for all we know, he's just gift wrap for Lucifer"

"No, he's...he's not Lucifer" Castiel grabs the bottle of whiskey.

"And how do you know that?"

Castiel refills Dean's glass "If Lucifer escaped the cage, we'd feel it"

"What is wrong with him?" Dean asks.

"I don't know, Dean. I'm sorry"

"What happened to you, Cas? You used to be human, or at least like one"

"I'm at war. Certain...regrettable things are now required of me"

"And Gabriel's horn of truth? That's a real thing?" Dean asks.

"You've seen it?"

"We think it's in town. Something's forcing people..." Sound of angel winds fluttering, Castiel has disappeared. "Oh, well, you're welcome!" Dean takes a swig.

Castiel reappears behind him "It isn't the horn of truth"

"What are you talking about? You were gone for like two seconds. Where did you look?"

"Everywhere"

"Right. Well, nice seeing you, anyway"

"Dean"

"What?"

"About your brother. I...I don't know what's wrong with him, but I do want to help. I'll make inquiries" Castiel disappears again.

"Yeah. Thanks" Dean mutters, taking another drink.

**********

Later

Dean is threatening Sam with the dog's blood-soaked knife.

"Dean, it's me" Sam tells him.

"You are not my brother" Dean backs Sam around the basin.

"Just listen"

"What are you?!"

"I'm me, Dean. Look, please, just let me explain" Sam begs.

"Why the hell should I believe anything you say?"

"Okay, okay. You want the truth? Here it is. Here it is. God's honest. She was right. There's something wrong with me, really wrong. I've known it for a while. I lied to you. Yeah. And...I let you get turned by that vamp. Because I knew there was a cure, Dean, and we needed in that nest! And I knew you could handle it!"

"Handle it?! I could've died! I could've killed Ben" Dean reminds him.

"And that should stop me cold. But I – I just don't feel it"

"You what?"

"Ever since I came back, I'm a – a better hunter than I've ever been! Nothing scares me anymore! 'Cause I can't feel it. I don't know what's wrong with me. I think...I need help" Sam looks solicitous.

Dean is emotional. He turns away, then turns back. Sam looks hopeful. Dean hesitates, then punches Sam. Sam falls back. Dean sets upon him, punching Sam repeatedly and viciously, stopping after Sam is unconscious and bloody.