Scanning

"There is wisdom in the head...and there is wisdom in the heart."-Charles Dickens

When I wake up I feel horrible.

You know that feeling you get when you already know the day is going to be be a blow before you open your eyes? That's how I feel right now.

As I crawl out of my pod, or bed and I try to brush my frizzy blonde hair with my fingers. Nothing works, so I just leave it how it is until I can find a brush.

I decide on making my pod. I grab the transparent sheet that is hanging off the side of the stainless steel and start to fold it. I involuntarily let my eyes skim over the shape of the steel container. I start from the top of the bed where my head rests and watch the shape curl outward, getting bigger until it ends where my feet lay.

After I make my pod I change into my usual clothes that are expectable in the 29th century. I slip into my fitted black tank top and my white leggings.

Those are the only colors allowed to be anywhere , except for nature. Our supreme ruler allows there to be red roses and green grass, which everyone expected.

It makes me cross that our only colors are black and white. I mean, I get it! We need to all be the same, so we have no disputes. The only thing is, I'm Albino and black and white are not good for my complexion.

Before I continue, I should explain something astronomically important. I can't touch another human. After World War 5, there were little humans left on the earth, and those humans were constantly killing each other. The first supreme ruler came after our president died and our technology was indescribable. We already had invented Forcefields from war, so why not use them to keep people safe?

I live in America. After world war five the other parts of the world were dangerous, like Africa, Asia and Europe. There were disasters happening everywhere. There was pollution, falling buildings, ashes scattered all over the weak ground and sink holes. The continent that survived the most bombs was North America, and that was a miracle. There are some places we are still not allowed to live in, but most areas are safe enough. We tried to save everyone, but that wasn't possible.

World War 4, 5, and 5 occurred from all of the terrorists constantly bombing countries. As soon as the other countries like France and Great Britain lost tolerance for the terrorists we decided to fight back. It was a gruesome and bloody series of wars.

Once everyone moved to America, we are not sure if anyone from other continents survived. We have not talked to another human from a separate part of the world in  700 years.

When I get downstairs I see my breakfast set on the table, a white yogurt bar. Now days people don't buy their own food, the government supplies them with food. After world war 4 everyone in the world went crazy, and started breaking into stores and stealing food everywhere. There wasn't enough food getting produced fast enough for people to sustain on. All the world leaders got together and decided that people could no longer go and buy food at markets.

After I ate my morsel meal, I prepared for what was next on my mental list.

Brain scanning.

Brain scanning is almost like school, except the boring hours of pretending your listening to your teacher and when you get home you have to study for your life, instead we have thick plastic spoons that contain all the information in the world. Our scanner places the spoon hollow side up on our forehead. Then BOOM, more knowledge.

My brain scanner is Zaich. He is 600 years old, wich isn't really that old, but compared to me he's ancient.

The life span of humans was increased dramatically when scientists knew that with humans couldn't reproduce if no one could touch each other, so they invent cloned children in labs. Once someone died they cloned that persons DNA. They also added a couple years to the life span. Our life span is 1,000 years.

Brain scanners are the only humans allowed to touch another, but only when scanning.

The reason I'm so scared is because I'm not used to contact at all. Even if he's not directly touching me. it frightens me that my safe and secure walls can be brought down by one touch.

Zaich comes over 20 minutes later with plastic spoon in hand.

This is my first time ever getting brain scanned. I am 23.

Zaich comes over and takes a seat next to me. I flinch at the sight of the spoon. He seems to notice I'm scared.

"It won't hurt I promise," He says with certainty.

If it doesn't hurt then how does it feel?

He seemed to read my mind.

"It feels like utopia."

He begans.

He puts the spoon on my forehead.

I have a million feelings at once.

I feel what love is, friendship, I feel like everything in the world is right because of me.

I feel deep relaxation,happiness, fun, exasperation and anger.

And just as I am at the feeling of justice, he takes the spoon of my forehead.

"Why did you do that?" I demand.

He smirks a little before answering.

"Downloading to much information is not good for the brain."

I huff and sit back in my chair, annoyed.

"Do you have any questions?"

At first I start to shake my head, but think of a few questions.

"I thought I was getting transmitted information, not feelings!"

"What is the population of Salt Lake City?" He says raising his eyebrows.

"One million," As soon as the words come out I cover my mouth.

"The feelings are a distraction."

"Oh," I say very confused. I let the information sink in.

"You would have died of boredom if you were to get straight up knowledge," He jokes.

"Okay," I say flatly.

"Your next appointment is in two days."
----------
Join my Facebook group! It's called: Kirsten Egbert's books