Walk

"It isn't what we say or think that defines us, but what we do." -Jane Austen

"Granessia," Twith yells. I am frozen with shock.

"So Granessia, how do you like your name?"He says sarcastically.

"Umm....I guess it's okay, I mean I like it," I say undecided.

I am still incredulous to the fact my name was Granessia.

"It's a mouthful!" He laughs.

"If you can shorten it, I will love you forever!" I say dramatically.

Leath smiles and scratches his chin.

"Umm....,"He drags this on for a while until he comes up with a name,"Nessie!"

I start laughing so hard I choke. I get a couple of rude glares from others paying attention to Twith. Leath is laughing and putting a finger to his mouth to quiet me. While I try really hard not to try to touch him.(If I do My hand will simply touch a solid barrier.)

"You named me after the lock ness monster!?!"I yell whisper.

"Well apparently in some book a sparkly vampire had a daughter with that nickname too!"he said while trying to hold a straight face.

After the names are done Leath asks if he can walk me home, and I tell him yes.

I pretend I walked here because I know that we will have a longer time to talk than driving in a car.

We walk to my house for a while in silence , only breaking the awkward tension to give him directions.

"So...," He trails off. He looks down at his feet and kicks some dust.

"Um, we get assigned in a week," I say with a shy smile.

"Ya we do!" He says with a grin that's much to large for his face.

"What job do you want?" I say suddenly getting curious.

"I want , to uhh...be like a writer," He says sheepishly.

"What!?"I say grinning. I start to laugh.

"I know it's a stupid job...," He says trailing off.

There are only a few writers who get picked from a batch of 23 year olds every year. It's extremely hard! You have to publish 2 books every 6 months, one non-fiction and one fiction.

"I want to be one too!"

"Well hopefully they choose us for the jobs," He says joyfully.

Our supreme ruler looks over the 23 year olds and decides who gets what job, it's frustrating.

We walk to my house and talk about a number of things. I find that Leath and I have a lot in common. We love the same things , and dislike the same things. I genuinely think I was starting to like him a lot. A little too much.

We finally get to my house.

"Well it was fun talking to you!" He said biting his bottom lip.

"Ya," I said pulling a loose strand of hair behind my ear.

He takes a step closer to me.

"This isn't goodbye, Nessie," He said and I felt a pang of something hot at the bottom of my stomach when he calls me that.

"I know,"I said and I started breathing harder because he took a step closer and is almost touching my force field. He bends his head down. I reach mine up. He closes his eyes, and I do the same and I wait for the foreign feeling of his lips on mine. But it never comes

I open my eyes and he is a few paces back to where he originally was.

Then my stupid brain remembers something. Forcefeilds.

"I'm sorry, I just totally embarrassed myself," I say laughing and finding my key. I curse silently to myself for being forgetful.

Screw you hormones!

I open the door and step inside .

"It's okay, I think I embarrassed myself more!" He says trying not to make this awkward.

"Um,bye,"I say and shut the door.

"See you in a week!"He shouts down the hallway.

After he leaves I slide down my door and replayed my humiliation.

I should be mad or annoyed at my stupidity, but instead I was wondering what it would feel like. To kiss Leath.
----------
Join my Facebook group! It's called: Kirsten Egbert's books