Training

"If we have 'second thoughts' about something, our first thoughts don't seem like thoughts at all-just feelings."- Sydney J. Harris

The next morning when I wake up, it takes a while for everything to sink in. I breathe in, and out. I suddenly feel sick.

I run to the bathroom to throw up. Nothing happens. I guess I'm just nervous. Not in a bad way, of course! I think.

I know I literally admitted to Leath that I like him, but what if I'm having second thoughts? No, I'm just nervous. I hope.

I'm just not sold on the idea of somehow 'being' with Leath. Technically our society looks down in relationships. Leath is practically asking me to brake the law. All for what? Just to be his?

When I get out of the bathroom, I inwardly sigh. I have training today.

I know what your thinking. What is training? Training is what you have to do after you get assigned your job. I know people used to go to something called college. This is basically our college, except it only lasts two classes. You might be a little jealous.

I get to my car, that I recently picked up from the parking lot. Once I get in I take three deep relaxing breaths. Finally, I get to be an author. Tears come to my eyes. I start sobbing because I want to share this moment with my best friend, Leath. I hope this isn't hurting him as much as its hurting me! He told me this job is his dream, and now he has to do something else. Imagine doing something everyday for 75 years that you utterly hate! It makes me sad just thinking about it.

I collect myself and drive towards the convention center that the writing workshop will be held.

I get into the class room and sit down in my chair. There is a notepad in front of me with a pen. I look up from my desk and look around. The room is almost circular. There is an astronomical fan hanging from the celling. It's so big, it looks like it's going to drop and kill us all. I look at our teacher who is an African american man with tiny little brown hairs sticking out of his balbed head.

"Good morning students!"He shouts. I feel I need to cover my ears.

"Good morning," We all automatically respond in stereo.

He sits on top of his desk and crosses his legs.

"Pick up your notepads," I immediately pick up my notepad and pen.

"Write about your favorite friend," He says making large hand gestures.

My thoughts go to Leath. Then again, I don't have any more friends.

I wrote the title Leath at the top of my paper.

I tap my pencil on my chin and tilt my head. How do you discribe something so amazing, there are no words?

When I finishI check it over and make sure I don't mention any of the feelings I've been having. I've realized that my feeling for Leath are not the type of emotions humans are having right now.

When I go to turn in my short paper my teacher asks me to stay. He holds his hand out and studies my paper. I grow nervous. Did I put in something so short in as 'he playfully slapped my shoulder'? I was terrified. Visions of Leath and I dragged out of our homes and silently executed at the city square. I could picture Leath and I screaming for other and trying to fight our way out of Twith's grasp.

I finally snapped back to reality by my teacher yelling at me.

"Grannessia!" He Yells annoyed. I blinked a few times and give him a weak smile.

"Sorry, I was....umm....thinking about a new book! Yes a new, uh, book," I finally say looking down.

I need to start working on my lying!