Theory

"When I saw you I fell in love, and you smiled because you knew." -William Shakespeare

It takes me a while to realize whats happening, and then all the sudden BOOM! I'm being touched, even though I (sort of) have a force field.

I'm terrified. I mean, ya I do really like Leath, but I have never been directly touched. I've never felt the soft caress of hands on your cheek, I've never held hands or given a high five. Never the less been kissed.

Then again, what the hell! The future ruler of this country is kissing me.

Leath deepens the kiss and his hands dip slightly under the bottom hem of my tank top. I kiss him back and put my hands behind his neck.

Leath smells of soap and mint. A smell that I know that I will never get tired of. His mouth tastes of fruit. Not a really strong flavor, but strong enough.

He tilts his head to meet mine at a better position. His lips are soft and luscious. I rest my arms on Leath's broad shoulders and pull him even closer to my body.

I stand there kissing him.

My heart pounds. I feel as if it's going to explode.

Leath moans and I make a whisper of a smile while we kiss.

"Nessie," he whispers.

Goosebumps trail up my arm as he runs his finger down the length of my arm.

We moved backwards until I hit my white refrigerator. We keep kissing until I feel the pain of the refrigerator handle burning into by back.

This brings me back to my consciousness.

I push very hard on Leath's chest and he pulls away from me, slightly dazzled.

We stared at each other for a long while, gasping for air. I touch my swollen lips and push my back from the refrigerator.

He smiles lightly and runs out the door.

How dare he!

"Leath!" I screamed infuriated.

An hour later I'm on my sofa recalling what happened to Leath and I. I play it over in my head, hit the rewind button and than play again. It wasn't logical!

I can't deny that I didn't enjoy what happened between Leath and I. I loved it, but I am so accustomed to being in control that it drives me to madness!

I'm also terrified that I have no protection against Leath. Not that I'm scared of him, I just have these safe and secure walls built up, and Leath has the power to take them down. He can take them down, with one delicate touch.

Then I hear a knock at my door.

I jump of the sofa and silently walk to the door.

"Nessie let me in!"Leath shouts. I'm so angry at him right now! I roll my eyes.

"Don't roll you eyes," He says agitated," just open the door!"

I finally give up, and talk to Leath.

"Are you going to kiss me?" I ask awkwardly.

"Nessie,"Leath says with heavy sarcasm," Of course I'm going to kiss you."

Even though he's not being serious, my heart quickens.

"Leath."

"Nessie."

I stare at the door and suddenly want Leath's comfort.

I open the door and Leath walks in.

"I think I know why I can touch you," He says really fast.

"Spill," I say raising my eyebrow.

"You know how I'm going to be supreme ruler very soon, and their like the most powerful person in the country?" He says making big gestures with his hands.

"How could I forget," I say sarcastically.

"I think I have this power to touch through anyone's Forcefeild I choose," He says waiting for my response.

"Like a superhero?" I say making fun of his use of the word 'power'.

He glares at me.

"You know what I mean!"

I smile at him and think about this. I pace for a while pondering this.

"It's most logical," I say, still deep in thought.

"I think I'll ask Twith, after training tomorrow," He sighs looking at me for permission.

"I don't think you should,"I say concerned.

"What? Why?"He says utterly confused.

"Just please don't, okay?" I plead. I receive this very negative vibe from her. I don't trust her.

Leath looks at me like I'm crazy.

He finally gives in.

"Fine."

I smile.

He scratches the back of his head and looks down at his feet. I know what he's going to say next.

"Nessie, I honestly think we should talk about..um....us"He says looking at me deeply with his beautiful eyes.

"What about us?"I ask nervously, and start picking at my calluses on my fingers.

"We kissed, and I like you a lot, like more than I should. You make me feel special like no one ever has. Ever. Your funny, and you stand up to me, it's refreshing that you don't agree to everything I say. You and I are the same in so many ways and I feel I can be myself around you.

"If I were to go out side right now and look at the stars, I would find them dull, because you shine so much brighter," He finished and all I can do is stare into his honey eyes.

"Could you say something because I'm getting worried," He says nervously. I smile to reassure him everything is fine.

"I guess I sort of feel the same way," I finally say choosing my words carefully.

"Sort of?" He inquires.

I look at the ground, scared to look at his face.

"You need to give me some time, I've never done this before. Of course I like you, or I wouldn't have kissed you,"

He grins a grin much too wide for his face. He pecks my lips and then says he has to get up early and needs to go.

After he leaves, I stare at myself in my mirror and smile a small smile.

I realize, for once in my lifetime I feel pretty.
----------
Join my Facebook group! It's called: Kirsten Egbert's books