Supreme ruler

"Make it a point to do something everyday that you don't want to do. This is the golden rule for acquiring the habit of doing your duty without pain."-Mark Twain

"Leath," She says smiling. Twith locks eyes with Leath.

I let out a gasp and cover my mouth.

It cannot be Leath!

Leath and I lock eyes and I felt terribly sorry for him. He gazes deep into my eyes and gave me a weak smile.

Everyone is clapping around us. Twith looks over in our direction and glares at me. She smirks, and then brings it up to a glower.

I don't care if she's the most freaking powerful person in our country, no one glares at me!

Guess what I do? I glare right back. She eventually changed her gaze to Leath and gives him a fake smile as he walks on stage.

"Care to say a few words?" Twith asks Leath.

We all cringe because her mouth is to close to the microphone.

"Um...sure, I guess," He says looking at Twith practically begging for help. She gives him a motion of her hand signaling him to proceed.

"Thankyou, to Twith for picking me, and to my friend Ness-I mean Grannessia for the support I'll get from you in the future," He says while holding my gaze. He looks so directly at me, I feel we are staring at each others souls. Or as if we were to stand at the feet of god as equals, not Leath the supreme ruler and me, just his friend that writes books. Equals, as we are.

I come to a conclusion in my thoughts that I like Leath, a lot more than I should.

"So I guess that's all," Leath says concluding. Leath says something else, but I'm to mesmerized by his honey eyes.

When he comes back I feel more awkward.

"Are you done? Can I finally go home your majesty?" I say sarcastically bowing.

Leath's eyes loose their playfulness and become dead serious. I suddenly get uncomfortable.

"Don't call me that Nessie. I want to be your equal," He says looking once more into my eyes. I get chills and think of what he just said. Wasn't I just thinking that? It's like he can read my mind.

I give him a shy smile and flip my hair to my right shoulder so he can't see all of my face.

"So I'm your friend,"I say giggling. His smile returns, and I let out a breath I forget I was holding.

"Ya, I'm so excited its official, I had to tell the whole world, or what's left of it," He says the last words a little to bitterly for my liking. Tears instantaneously spring and burn at the back of my blue eyes.

"Scanning?" I ask curiously. He nods.

I do the same.

"Ever experienced déjà vu?" He asks.

"Nope," I say smiling.

"Want to?"

I smile and walk with him, side by side to my small apartment.
----------
Join my Facebook group! It's called: Kirsten Egbert's books