Sins

"Speak when you are angry, and you'll make the best speech you'll ever regret."- Ambrose Bierce

When I open my eyes the first thing I see is my celling. My living room celling. I squint to make sure I'm right. Yep, it's definite.

I arch my back a little and stretch. What ever is underneath me is really comfy.

I turn and snuggle myself into whatever is underneath me and yawn.

Something puts it's arm around me and kisses my forehead.

I'm so tired my vision is blurred with fatigue.

"Couches aren't supposed to move," I think aloud to myself. Then I realize Leath is underneath me.

I push my head up abruptly.

"Leath, have you been watching me?"I ask curiously.

He winks at me.

"You drool in your sleep,"He says smiling. He knows that bugs me.

"I do NOT!" I argue.

Leath kisses me and tethers his fingers through my hair.

"We need to get up,"I say pulling Leath away from me. He scowls.

"We're already late," He says. He then covers his mouth as my eyes widen.

"I hate you!"I say ripping the small blanket from my body and getting up to brush my hair. I don't care if I already wore there clothes yesterday, I was Plate already!

"No, you love me,"he says moving off the couch.

I grab my bag and rush to the fridge and toss a bottled water into it.

"You wish!" I say stepping out of the front door and lock it.

"You're right, I do,"He says and turns me around while putting his fingers around my waist and kissing my neck. He pushes me against the door. My breathe catches my throat as I feel the electricity radiating off his fingers.

"Have you...figured out your feeling yet?" He says kissing my jaw. I can't think straight. All I can concentrate on are Leath's lips on my neck, slowly moving lower.

"I-I-" I start, but Leath cuts me off.

"Admit it Nessie, I'm addictive, you can't get enough of me," He says says before kissing my lips. I enjoy the kiss for a while until I realize I really need to go.

I'm dizzy. I can't form a coherent sentence.

"It's-its-"

"Yes?" Leath asks.

"It's a little hot in here," I say cursing myself inwardly.

"Nessie,"Leath says giving me a look," it's hot in here because I'm in here."

I pull away and hug Leath.

"As much as I love this, I'm going to late. Aren't you worried about being late?"I say curiously.

Leath scoffs and looks at me directly in the eye. I try to hold the gaze, but I grow nervous and look at the floor.

"Why show up for a job I don't want."

I look at him and feel sorry for him. When he lives in the one mansion the supreme ruler lives, I'm not going to see him often.

"It will only be seventy-five years," I say trying to cheer Leath up.

We only work seventy-five years because right now, we are considered fresh. The mind can only take so many years until it becomes old and slow. That, at least comes from our scientists.

"Nessie, maybe you could live with me! Once I become supreme ruler, I'm the most powerful person in the country! Maybe we could tell people we can touch, they'd understand! We could show the world touching isn't so bad!

I shudder at his stupid thought. I want that too, but it's not possible.

"Leath, they would kill me,"I say looking into his eyes. I search for the man who gave me the speech about being safe, just so he could have me.

"I won't let that happen," He says looking at his shoes.

"You think this," I say moving a finger between us,"would continue once you started your job?"

"Yes Nessie! Am I the only one in this relationship?" He says raising his voice.

"Twith wouldn't allow it!" I say stating the obvious.

Leath stares as me for while debating something inside his head.

I tilt my head curiously.

"You told Twith, didn't you!" I roar incredulously.

"I thought maybe she would understand and be able to help us!" He says looking small and cowardice, like he said he didn't want to look like.

"You keep saying us! Right now that wasn't saving or protecting us!"

"Won't you just listen to what she said?" He screams running his hands through his hair.

His eyes are full of a murderously angry and dangerous light that is foreign to my mind. His hair is tousled and his part in now in the middle. His hands are flexing and pulling into fists. He looks scary, and I'm terrified of this Leath.

"No, you need to understand that what you did could have just ruined us!" I scream.

"You know what? There is no us right now!" He screams and shakes my body roughly.

"Get away from me!"I yell. I run into my apartment and lock the door.

I hear Leath yelling my name and apologizing outside if my door.

Apparently he had no right to ask Twith. I already know that.

Eventually Leath leaves screaming down the hallway.

I let tears slip from my eyes.

All I want is to be safe.

Is that too much to ask?
----------
Join my Facebook group! It's called: Kirsten Egbert's books