EIGHTEEN

"damon? damon this isnt funny." Ariana heard Rebekah say, her long heels clicking against the ground. she turned and began to walk. 

"rebekah." she shouted, in a flash of wind rebekah was in front of the Salvatore.

"where is he?" she went to guide her but the two felt hands over their mouths. 

"rebekah, Ariana shh." she heard her brother Damons voice by her ear and, for once she did as she was told. damon guided them to Klaus' body and they began to push the casket to a small black truck. they almost got him to safety until Alaric came in front of them, grabbed Ariana by the hair and smashed her head onto the corner of the casket, right by Klaus' open eyes, and threw her across the room, joined with rebekah and damon. the three got up quickly, Ariana running towards Alaric screaming for him to stop as the opened the casket. damon held the two protesting women in his arms, and watched as the white oak stake impaled hi chest, ripping apart his heart. 

the heartbreak that shattered Ariana came in a matter of waves, crashing together in a suffocating storm. she was drowning in the metaphorical waters she began to choke. everything from her left, she wanted to throw up, but couldn't. she had lost her appetite. it was like a shard of glass, stuck every time she tried to swallow move, speak, blink, it hurt, and it ripped away parts of her every time she moved. where once was peace, is emptiness. where once was a laugh came a choked cry. where once was a smile, came, the look of death. her eyes could kill the grim reaper himself. echos of love rang out into nothing in the room. 

death wasn't kind. Ariana knew that. she had given it to others on many occasions. but this very moment, it snatched any part of humanity that lingered in the young slavatores now cold, black and shrivelled up heart. the beats weren't to be heard, it felt as if it had grown heavy, and dropped in her rib cage, buckling her knees underneath her. the hooded vale of torment engulfed him in flames, the ashes will soon be all thats left of him. her home was gone. the charred remains of her beloved went unseen to her, as damon screamed for her to run, and with looking at the corpse once more, ran off with rebekah clutching her hand tightly. 

-

heartbreak.

thats all she could feel as she lay silently on the floor. replaying the moment in her mind like a soldier who came back from war. she couldn't forget it. she kept seeing the flames dance happily around his body.

she wondered about many things; like how things couldve been if he were still here.

he would've kept his promise. he would be with her right now, arms wrapped safely around her, his nose letting out small breathes against her exposed shoulder. he could be talking with that all too familiar accent. he could cause her lips tog row numb from his own, he could make her laugh. when he was with her the pain s topped, the laughs came and the silence was comfortable. when she had hope that he'd come back to her, he was her solution to everything, his eyes, lips, neck, voice, hand, arms, legs, everything. it was her medicine- her drug. she was addicted. and now it was as if she was forced into rehabilitation. she missed him so much so her guts felt like they were burning, like he burned in front of her eyes. the warm flames that once warmed her heart, burned her. no more happiness. she watched, the eyes, that were the window to his should, open wide, staring straight at her, as he burnt away in front of her eyes. salty and cold waters spilled from her eyes, slipping into the cracks of her dry lips. 

in this heartache the sun wont burn her, or shine and light up her days the way those golden locks added with a teethy smile would. birdsongs will fall to a deepest depressing melancholy melodies.

just a flick. its all she needed. to stop the tears, the emotion, the heartache, the heartbreak, the pain, the suffering, the loss.

the humanity. 

the flick of a switch. 

sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.