Chapter6

+3 months later......so pretty much the '6 months later' mark again+

"Hal! Hal wait!" I yelled, limping over to him, as my ankle hasn't fully healed yet. In fact, if Anne or Lourdes saw me, they'd be pissed. They want people carrying me EVERYWHERE! It's really embarrassing, actually.

Hal was about to leave to go on a food scout, and I desperatly needed to go somewhere else for the day. I'm the only person here with ADHD and Dyslexia, and they take it that I can't do anything. Almost everyone thinks it; they never say it.

"HAL!" I yelled fighting to get  his attention. Finally he turned around confused, then he had a pissed look. Whoops. Forgot he was strict about me not walking on my ankle, and I didnt have my crutches with me, they annoy the crap out of me! My eyes widened and started hopping and balancing on my good foot, smiling sheepishly.

"Hey bro!" I said over-enthusiastically. Hal just glared at me and said, "What do you want, Carter? You know your not supposed to be putting weight on your ankle!" I just rolled my eyes at him and said "Hal, can a pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty please-" but Hal cut me off by saying "No." My mouth fell open and I said "You don't even know what I was going to ask!"

"I don't care, It will have something with you being put in danger. So NO." He said in 'daddy-mode'.

About two months ago, Hal really hardened his heart, and became a second strict dad. The only person he softened up for was Karen. Sometimes me and Matt. Sometimes.

"Hal, I'm not gonna sugar-coat it now. Can I go on the food scout with you? I havent been out in a while and I know people are getting annoyed of me being here and not doing anything. And I havent been to 'school in forever because they always talk about ways to avoid getting harnessed then I remember th-....I remember that Its my fault Ben Is'nt with us anymore...and I-I cant take it!" I said, on the verge of tears. Hal's face softened and he said, "Car, It's not you fault, it couldve happened to anyone. And you sure you wanna go? It's your first time since....since...yeah." He said hugging me, and I get his memo about last time...It was the last time I saw Ben's shaggy hair.

Ben was a happy-go-lucky, smiley kind of guy. When the invasion happened, Ben would smile all the time, to cover up the trauma that he's been through - what we've all been through.

I nodded and said "Yeah, Yeah I wanna go." He smiled half-heartedly and said "Ok then, lets go tell Captain Weaver and Dad," I nodded and turned on my good heel, and started to limp away when Hal put his hand on my shoulder. ",On my back." he finished. I smiled at my Big Brother and Hopped on his back and we made our way through the camp to Captain Weavers tent, where he and Dad were having their normal businessy conversations.

"Hey, uh, Captain Weaver...and Dad." They turned their heads from the map they were studying and looked at us. "Im going to take Carter on my Food scout....if that's okay with you guys."

"Tom, what do you think?" Captain Weaver questioned my Dad. "Carter, are you sure, especially after what happened last tim-" I cut him off and jumped off Hal's back, landing on my left foot, bending my right knee to prevent weight being put on my bad ankle. "Dad I'm positive. Almost everyone is getting annoyed of me, and you know why I'm not wanting to go to school anymore!" I said. "Wait, I thought you were still going to school?" Dad questioned me, squinting his eyes. Shit! I forgot he doesn't know I ditch! "Forget that! But I'm positive dad, I need to do this." He sighed and nodded his head saying, "Fine. But don't take long. Get some food. Come back. Then your going to school tomorrow." Dad sternly said. "But-" I tried to complain. "School. Tomorrow." He repeated. "Fine! I threw my hands in the air, exasperated. I pointed a finger at Dad. "But I'm NOT PROMISING I'm going to pay attention to what their saying!"

Captain Weaver and Dad just chuckled and Me and Hal Hopped onto his motorcycle. Finally, I can do this again.

(PICTURE OF MATT ON SIDE)