Chapter7

Before I knew it, Me and Hal were cutting through the same trees we were last time I went on a food scout...which obviously was a fail, seeing as I lost one of my big brothers and we came back with no food.

After Driving the motorcycle for about 2 1/2 miles, we found an abondoned super market. "Jackpot!" I whispered excitedly. Hal chuckled at my comment and I took a look at the area; It looks like someplace in Utah, I visited my grandparents there once. The ground was all dirt and few bushes, a ditch that looked like water used to flow through it, and  some plants; so a stereo-type desert with a super market stuck slab in the middle of it.

I got off the motorcycle first and started limping away, with my large duffel bag on my back. Walking - wait no - Limping behind Hal, he led the way to the doors. One of the sliding doors were stuck open, and denting the frame, as it was stuck sidways, we slid through and looked around. I saw food everywhere! How could people not jack this place up and rob the food like me and Hal are about to do? 'Crazies...' I thought, shaking my head.

"Which Isle first?" I asked Hal. "We'll, you wanna split up or-" "Stay together Hal. Remember, I want to live and be able to go to school tomorrow, not be harnessed and a slave along with most of the World's kids." I joked. But evidently, Hal didn't find it funny. "I'm kidding, Hal." I said. "Yeah. I know. I just don't like the thought of my Baby Sis doing Labor work for the Skitters." He said gritting his teeth. "And how do you think I would feel if that happened to you, Hal? You know your still counting as a kid, right?" I snapped.

"Do you think I would really let that happen to myself, Carter? You think I want to be a filthy slave! No one wants to Carter! No One wants to be controlled by those Damned Skitters!" Hal snapped back. "Whatever, Hal!" I said turning my back and walking off towards the vegetable isle. I loved carrots, so I pretty much filled up the whole bottome with it, throwing in some celery, peppers, and some squash too. I turned around and made my way to the meat section of the store, grabbing anything I could, If theres one thing me and Hal have in common besides our pale skin, and dark hair and eyes, it would be our common interest in Meat.

After Five or Ten minutes of limping around stuffing my bag full of anything and everything the camp cooks could use, (watching my still-healing wrist in the process), the building began to shake. Earthquake. That's what your thinking right? Well, wrong. It's most-likely mech's. Shit. "Hal!?" I cried worriedly as the shelf began to shake. They must be insanely close.

I saw a familar head full of black hair, and made my way limping towards it. Hal turned around understanding what I was calling him for. I saw he too had stuffed his duffel with a number of foods. "Let's go. NOW." Hal whispered putting me on his back and booking it to the doors. Leaving the duffels by the bikes, Hal runs towards the ditch, pretty much tossing me in, and jumping in after. I could already feel the dirt staining my already soiled clothes.

Feeling the shaking get closer and closer, I, indeed, see Mech's making their way parallel to the long, straight ditch we had situated into, and harnessed kids following suit, caboosed by several Skitters. The kids were practically marching in order, with those things on their backs pretty much giving off an orange light. 'Gross...' I thought. 'I wonder if it really hurts having that put on?'. But then I saw someone I wasn't so sure I'd ever see again.

I stood up out of Hal's grip and shouted my brothers name. "BEN!"

(PICTURE OF BEN ON SIDE)