ditching detention

Kennedy knew exactly what would be waiting for her at Avengers Tower

A disappointed James Rhodes.

Try as she might, Kennedy couldn't help the guilt that swam in her eyes or the shame that sank her cheeks as she shoved her hands further into the pockets of the ripped jeans she was wearing as she walked down the crowded streets of Manhattan, her backpack thumping against her back soundly, her usual aviators bridging across her nose as a rather shoddy disguise. Earbuds blasted loud pop music into her ears as she trudged past the onslaught of civilians before she finally made it to Avengers Tower. As she walked in through the lobby, a security guard gave her a once over before letting her into the elevator, instantly recognizing her as the bosses daughter as Kennedy stepped inside of it with a loud sigh. As it began to go up it made one stop, one in which Happy Hogan walked inside of it.

"Is he -- " Kennedy bit the inside of her cheek, her eyes on the ground. "Is he mad?"

"Mr. Rhodes never gets mad," Happy told her, his mouth pressed into a thin line as he folded his hands across his body, the elevator doors sliding closed. "You know that."

"Yeah," Kennedy mumbled. "Does -- does my dad know?"

"I don't know, kid," said Happy, his voice uncharacteristically gentle as Kennedy's shoulders drooped. "That video of you and Peter though... it's all over the Internet, it's gone completely viral. International news outlets are picking up on it, there's pretty slim chances that Mr. Stark hasn't figured it out yet."

Kennedy didn't have the energy for a response, completely exhausted beyond belief from her and Peter's Washington D.C. adventure. Her skull was still rattling around her brain, her mind still rather disoriented although her stomach had calmed down considerably, thanks to the slew of medication and pills she had ingested on the bus ride back to New York. But even despite her exhaustion, Kennedy fully registered Happy's words and she quite noticeably gulped, the anxious look in her eyes unmistakable.

The elevator dinged loudly.

"This is my stop," said Happy as the doors slid open to reveal a busy hallway full of working people striding back and forth, none looking to see his arrival. "Good luck, kid."

With that, Happy made his exit. As the elevator doors shut behind him, Kennedy drew in a deep breath, attempting to calm herself as she elevator picked up its steady trek towards the penthouse. Her heart beginning to pound within her chest, thumping so loudly Kennedy was sure that Steve Rogers, on the other side of the world, could definitely here it until finally the elevator arrived at its stop; the penthouse of Avengers Tower.

DING

The ding, which usually sounded rather cute, now had an ominous undertone as Kennedy cautiously stepped into the place she had called her home for so long. Glancing left and right, she was met with emptiness and silence, causing her to enter fully, although she still stepped rather hesitantly. Making her way towards her room, tracing the familiar route, Kennedy wasn't intercepted once and she began relax, her posture slackening, relief flooding her body and then --