Chapter 5

How could she have lost the Cotex? Wilson thought, leaning back in his bed. It was about midnight, and Wilson couldn't stop thinking about the Cotex. That book was full of dangerous shadow spells. Reading it for too long gave Wilson a headache when he was researching.

Rolling over, Wilson began to think of possibilities. Of course, Wickerbottom could have just misplaced book, but that seemed unlikely. Another possibility was that the book was stolen. But the only ones able to get into Wickerbottom's library were the Gods themselves. That means one of us is a traitor Wilson thought darkly. But still, none of them seemed up to the task of using the book's dark powers. Unless...

Wilson snapped straight up. Of course! How could he of not thought of it? He would have a personal meeting with the queen tomorrow. His hunch may turn up to be true.

...

"What?" The queen's confusion was reflected in her voice. She obviously couldn't believe that what Wilson said may be true.

"Yes, your highness. I believe that Maxwell stole the Cotex Umbra from Wickerbottom." Wilson replied. He knew that it would be hard for her to accept it, but he had a pretty good feeling about this possibility.

"No... he would never steal from any of the Gods! He would never!" Charlie cried, voice cracking with disbelief.

Wilson felt his chest grow heavy. "Charlie, I know it's hard for you to accept the possibility, but you have to take it into consideration." Wilson soothed, keeping his tone calm and level. He had to remain professional if he were to convince her of this.

Charlie lowered her head, tapping her fingers nervously on the sides of the Nightmare Throne. It took all of Wilson's strength not to cower beneath the throne's ominous aura.

"I understand... I see some logic in your words. I will look into it, but until then, please leave me." Charlie said, head still hanging miserably. Wilson suddenly regret coming here to inform her.

"Of course... as you wish, your majesty," Wilson said, bowing respectfully before turning and taking his leave. He pretended not to hear the quiet sobs that came from behind him.

...

Wilson groaned as the clockwork creature fell over, making a loud clang on the floor. This only happened because he was unfocused. The Cotex business was still bothering him.

Cursing under his breath, he hauled the clockwork back onto its feet, picking up the parts that broke off in its fall. I just want to get this done so WX-78 would stop nagging me Wilson thought. Just give me my focus for one second...

"WOULD HIGH GOD WILSON LIKE SOME ASSISTANCE?" The monotone voice of that very robot sounded as though on cue. WX-78 walked next to Wilson, looking curiously at the broken clockwork. He wore an expertly made metal hood and cape, a gear crest resting on his chest.

Wilson groaned. "No, that won't be needed," he growled, refusing to look at the robot. Even if he was Wilson's creation, Wilson couldn't stand WX-78's aggravating attitude.

"VERY WELL, HIGH GOD WILSON. HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR FAILURE," WX-78 said, then turned and disappeared into the trees.

Why on Umbra did he make that robot? To this day he still doesn't know.