Chapter 35

The group of five gods picked up the pace as they saw lights growing in the distance. Night was falling fast, and based on Wilson's experience, none of them wanted to be caught in the dark.

As they neared, bushes began to rattle, occasionally at first, until there was a rustle every few seconds. Webber practically clung to Wilson, his spiders skittering nervously after him. The ice god didn't blame them. He'd be afraid to be near a pig village if he were a spider. Pigmen attacked spiders out of self defense, because the spiders were normally instinctively hostile. So that presented an issue.

As they walked into the towns perimeter, they were met by about 5 or 6 Pigmen, all preparing for nightfall. They all stopped dead and stared as the travelers entered the proximity of their village. Wilson began thinking of ways to make sure they didn't attack Aracnie or 'Webber', because out of lack of originality, Webber had named the other spider after himself. Webber II they called it.

But instead of attacking the spiders, the pigs recognized them. Apparently, they were aware of the existence of gods. The group didn't know how or why, but whatever the reason, the Pigmen bowed before them, confusing the tired and lost travelers.

"THEY ARRIVE LIKE ELDER SAID!" One called out.

"GODS OF UMBRA HERE!" A few more cried.

Wilson took a step back, a little bit more shocked than the rest of them. How did they know who they were? Were they some kind of deities to them, presented in the flesh?

"TAKE GODS TO KING! KING PRESENT THEM WITH GIFTS!" A Pigman cried, and they suddenly found themselves being ushered into town.

Webber looked scared. Wendy kept her distance from the Pigs and stayed near Wilson. Willow looked a bit flustered. Wolfgang seemed to be enjoying himself. Wilson, well...

He was just plain old confused.

They were pushed into the center of the village, where they were met with the massive figure of a brown pig. A straw crown rested between two huge white horns extending off of either side of his head. A straw skirt-like garment was wrapped around his waist, and he sat on a wooden platform, four black pillars surrounding him in a defensive manner.

Wilson had only read about this creature in library books, a Pigman among Pigmen, an absolute ruler over them. And probably the laziest creature in all of Umbra.

The Pig King.